#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Regal Restaurant, Haymarket Chinatown » | Roast Pork, Banoffee Pie and Black Sesame Cupcake ... » | Nakashima Japanese Restaurant, The Rocks, Sydney » | March Into Merivale Launch Party, The Establishment » | No ordinary steak dinner » | Eveleigh Farmers' Market » | Golden Sichuan Restaurant, Haymarket Chinatown » | Eveleigh Farmers' Market » | A quick trip to the US of A » | Harry's Bar de Ville at Bay Tinh, Marrickville »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chocolate and ginger biscotti

As I get older [sigh], I find my sweet tooth isn't quite what it used to be [shock mingled with relief]. Sure there's still room for a big fat slice of banoffee pie, but I'm also starting to appreciate less sweet desserts, like salted chocolate and cranberry cookies and these chocolate and ginger biscotti.

I was a little impatient with this batch, not quite waiting long enough for the baked logs to cool which meant the insides were still a bit squishy and the slices got thicker and chunkier to prevent them crumbling.

Next time I would probably add more ginger and maybe include some ground ginger powder as well. I'll definitely wait longer and make sure the loaves cool all the way through as well. Thinner slices have a little more elegance and there's less chance of cracking a tooth too!



Chocolate and ginger biscotti

1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup blanched almonds
1/2 cup crystallised ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger powder (optional)
3 eggs

Preheat the oven to 160C/325F.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well until it comes together into a stiff dough.

Divide the dough into two and knead each on a lightly floured surface until it comes together smoothly. Transfer both logs to a baking tray lined with baking paper.

Bake the logs for 35 minutes and allow to cool completely.

Using a serrated knife, cut the log into thin slices and lay them flat and spaced apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the biscuits seem crisp (remember that the biscuits will harden once they cool).

Serve with tea or coffee. Dunking is not mandatory but always an option.
10 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 3/11/2009 01:24:00 am


10 Comments:

  • At 3/11/2009 3:08 am, Blogger Karen | Citrus and Candy said…

    Oh yum...I'm actually craving biscotti right now! With a gorgeous batch like this I don't blame you for being impatient :)

     
  • At 3/11/2009 9:08 am, Blogger Y said…

    Mmm I love the look of those big chunks of ginger! :)

     
  • At 3/11/2009 9:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my sweet tooth is definitely taking a back seat to more subtle flavours. and i love a good ginger biscuit. these look lovely helen :)

     
  • At 3/11/2009 12:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you about the sweet tooth. I can usually pass up dessert no problem, but the cheese trolly is all together more problematic.

    This is a great recipe though. Not something I've ever made before and ideal for that mid morning coffee. I'll be giving this a shot for sure.

     
  • At 3/11/2009 12:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As long as the dulling of your sweet tooth is opening up more desserts not fewer it's not a bad thing. I love ginger and it goes well with chocolate. These would be great with tea and dunking them sounds like a good idea.

     
  • At 3/11/2009 1:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here I thought it'd be much harder than this to make. I guess, as you've demonstrated, the hardest part is the waiting :)

     
  • At 3/11/2009 10:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha sif you are old :P Mmm I love ginger in biscotti/biscuits they add such a good warmth and flavour to them :)

     
  • At 3/13/2009 4:20 am, Blogger Irene said…

    I made chocolate biscotti recently and felt like they were lacking a little something something - reading your post, I realize that it's ginger! Thanks!

     
  • At 3/13/2009 4:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These go nice with tea. That's what I had them with... don't laugh! I happen to love tea and hard biscuits... this recipe is a perfect combo!

     
  • At 3/13/2009 5:34 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Karen - I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to cooking, especially when it comes to sweets :) I finished the last of the biscotti the other night :(

    Hi Y - I didn't bother chopping mine very much and then stressed that the pieces were too chunky. Once I started eating them however, the fat chunks were great, and I would definitely add a lot more ginger next time! I can't get enough of the stuff!

    Hi Shez - It's a sad day when you realise that your sweet tooth is waning, and thanks. These aren't as pretty or as professional looking as The Biscuit Tree but there's always a bit of pleasure involved in making your own :)

    Hi Pete - Oooh cheese. My favourite indulgence is to have dessert and THEN have cheese. Maybe a little dessert wine too :)

    I find this is barely sweet so you don't feel ill afterwards. Fortunately or unfortunately it does mean you can eat a lot more of them :) But ginger, that's good for you!

    Hi Arwen - I always have tea with my dessert - sometimes a bad thing because it means you can eat more dessert much more easily!

    Hi Simon - This biscotti recipe is easier because it uses whole eggs. I do love almond bread with pistachio although then you have to resign yourself to making custard or mayonnaise or something similarly sinful and delicious with the leftover egg yolks :)

    Hi FFichiban - Age is relative :) And I love ginger too. Ginger tea is always good after dinner (or a buffet!).

    Hi Irene - I agree. The ginger really highlights the bitterness of the chocolate. I think that cinnamon (with or without the ginger) would also work. I recently found dried sour cherries too which I think would pair marvellously as well.

    Hi Angelique - Oh I think biscotti are designed to be drunk with tea! Most European biscuits seem to be baked extra hard and crunchy so they'll soften a little when dunked in tea. Nothing to be ashamed of at all!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts