#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | City Market, Wellington, New Zealand » | Harbourside Market, Wellington, New Zealand » | Becasse, Sydney - Spring Dinner with Champagne (CL... » | New World Supermarket, Wellington, New Zealand » | Steel Bar & Grill, Sydney » | Hippopotamus Restaurant at the Museum Hotel, Welli... » | Schoc Chocolates at Ciocco Chocolaterie, Wellingt... » | The Weta Cave and Cafe Polo, Miramar, Wellington, ... » | Floriditas, Wellington, New Zealand » | Dixon St Deli, Wellington, New Zealand »

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Moore Wilson, Wellington, New Zealand



Things that make you go awww........

Just as this photogenic pug made me melt into a smile, so did the picture perfect food that awaited me at Moore Wilson.

It was my final day in Wellington and after joining a tour of the Harbourside Market, I'd zipped over to the fancy new City Market. There was not a moment to waste as I kept an eye on my watch and walked the couple of blocks up to Moore Wilson for their special Wellington on a Plate event, Wellington Food Heroes Day.



I love the idea of hosting a Food Heroes Day. Congregating in the car park of Moore Wilson, the event was designed as a way to meet the people behind several of the store's Wellington-based. It was a casual market-style set-up with tastings, displays and food for sale. Mostly I basked in the convivial atmosphere and the lovely sense of recognition and appreciation extended to this community of local "heroes".


Double bass player in the jazz quartet


Grilled haloumi sandwich from Zany Zeus


Opaki manchego cheese


Fresh roti proving


Roti chanai from Rempah


Duck and pork cassoulet from Laurent Loudeac

Yes, it seems the head chef from Hippopotamus Restaurant has his own range of products as well.


Snail kebabs with garlic butter from Laurent Loudeac


Shortbread from Floriditas

After my behind-the-scenes kitchen tour at Floriditas, it was almost like being reunited with old friends when I spied owner Julia Baker and head baker Emily Keshav. The bakery samples also seemed like long lost friends too, ones I was quite to reunite with my delighted tastebuds.


Raspberry and almond tart from Floriditas


Chocolate fudge cake from Floriditas


Caramel brownie from Floriditas


Millionaires slice from Floriditas


Blueberry and blackberry yoghurt cake from Floriditas


Gingerbread cookies in the shape of jandals! (aka thongs or flip-flops)


Trombone player


Moore Wilson Fresh

I stepped into Moore Wilson not knowing quite what to expect. In a word: glee. The range of produce, cheeses, seafood and gourmet treats was staggering but I loved how everything was presented in an approachable market style without fuss or elitist pomposity.


Garlic and onions


Fresh vegetables


Artisan bread counter


Cakes and slices from Arobake


Cakes from Floriditas


Valrhona chocolate truffle cake from Floriditas


Self-service fresh seafood


Fresh flounder $14.95/kg


Fresh whole scarpi $5.95/kg


Fresh blue cod $16.95/kg


Live clams


Live mussels


Lobster tank


Cheese and prosciuto in-store tastings


Dairy case


The walk in cheese room! This was for fresh cheese.


And a seperate section and door for hard cheeses!


One of two cheese cabinets

Could this get any better? Oh yes it could! Across the corridor from Moore Wilson Fresh is Moore Wilson's Wholesale Cash & Carry.

Am I the only person who finds endless amusement from foodstuffs in giant-sized portions?


Super-wide aisles in the trade warehouse


Shoppers can use shopping trolleys or these bulk trolleys
especially designed for boxes and heavy items


Did someone ask for golden syrup? Here's 28kg of it


2.27kg of Edmond's baking powder


3kg tins of Wattie's spaghetti


20 litre buckets of mayonnaise


I just liked the name of these. Chow Chow!


5kg bags of San Remo pasta


2.5kg bucket of Davis gelatine (and gold-strength gelatin sheets)


Fish and chip paper



Grab Your Fork attended Wellington on a Plate as a guest of Positively Wellington Tourism. For more information on Wellington, check out http://www.wellingtonnz.com.

Wellington on a Plate ran from 17-30 August 2009. Next year's festival dates have already been confirmed as 14-29 August 2010.


View Larger Map

Moore Wilson
Corner of College and Tory Streets
Wellington, New Zealand
Tel: +64 (04) 384 9906

Opening hours:
Moore Wilson Fresh
Monday to Friday 7.30am - 7pm
Saturday 7.30am - 6pm
Sunday 9am - 5pm

Moore Wilson Cash & Carry
Monday to Friday 8am - 7pm
Saturday 8am - 6pm
Sunday 9am - 5pm


Go back to Wellington on a Plate Day OneRead the next Wellington on a Plate entry

Read about my Wellington eats in 2007
13 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 9/08/2009 01:18:00 am


13 Comments:

  • At 9/08/2009 1:58 am, Anonymous chocolatesuze said…

    did you get the urge to stick your finger into the proving roti and pop the balloons...

     
  • At 9/08/2009 8:26 am, Blogger Stephcookie said…

    Ooh a walk in cheese room!! How awesome. And 28kg of golden syrup! I would have so much fun in that place. It's like shopping in a grocery store for giants haha :)

     
  • At 9/08/2009 9:04 am, Anonymous shez said…

    Now that is my kind of store! It's got everything in it! Plus a giant wholesalers out the other side :)

     
  • At 9/08/2009 10:53 am, Blogger Forager said…

    Looks like a fun experience, my kinda candy store! The snail kebabs is the thing that fascinated me the most - who can possibly walk by that without trying it?

     
  • At 9/08/2009 11:34 am, Blogger rissa said…

    I have been really enjoying your blog posts while you've been in Wellington. I was disappointed I didn't get to any of the Wellington on a Plate events, but it's given me plenty of ideas and inspiration! And yes, isn't Moore Wilson's awesome!

     
  • At 9/08/2009 11:39 am, Anonymous The Extra said…

    Fish & Chip Paper YAY! I miss getting fish & chips wrapped in paper - now everything comes in a box. And I'm old enough to remember getting f&c wrapped in newspaper. Ah, lax hygiene - those were the days.

     
  • At 9/08/2009 2:47 pm, Blogger Sarah D said…

    The giant food store reminds me of this simpsons episode... http://www.snpp.com/episodes/1F10.html

    Marge: "Ooh, that's a _great_ price for twelve pounds of nutmeg."

     
  • At 9/08/2009 3:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't believe you found ROTI in Wellington!!

     
  • At 9/08/2009 5:02 pm, Anonymous Arwen from Hoglet K said…

    My mum always jokes about enjoying your icecream so much you have a bath in it. Looks like this wholesaler could set you up for it! I love the look of the cheese room.

     
  • At 9/08/2009 6:44 pm, Blogger milliemirepoix said…

    Wow, I can't believe how much you managed to cram into one weekend - that's impressive!

    And oh, yay Moore Wilson's! I live literally down the street (45 seconds' dash from my kitchen into Fresh) so I'm there almost every day, sampling cheese and olive oil and sometimes wine (oh yeah, and buying food) :p The "food heroes" event looks like it was great!

     
  • At 9/08/2009 8:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hee hee at first glance I thought the pug was wearing a hat hee hee and ooohh I need to get meself a walk in cheese room XD!

    Also isn't Costco opening here soon?

     
  • At 9/09/2009 3:45 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi chocolatesuze - lol. I'm guessing you would have? Rest assured, they were safely kept at distance from the roving public!

    Hi Stephcookie - Yes so much fun looking at giant food. And I loved the walk-in cheese room too!

    Hi Shez - Absolutely. I could've spent hours in both stores!

    Hi Forager - Well I actually walked past without buying a snail kebab. lol. But then I'd eaten snails the night before (by Laurent too!).

    Hi Rissa - So glad you've been enjoying the posts. You're so lucky to have such an amazing array of restaurants and produce. Wellington brings so much joy!

    Hi Extra - Ahh yes, newspaper chips! I think the hot chip buckets with the newsprint on them are so funny.

    Hi Sarah - lol. Simpsons can always be counted on for quotes that are pure gold :)

    Hi Ellie - I found a few Malaysian places in Wellington, but yes it was exciting to see fresh handmade roti.

    Hi Arwen - A bath in ice cream? Sounds very cool! lol! The cheese room was wondrous...

    Hi Millie Mirepoix - Moore Wilson was so much fun. I loved the wholesale section. I did cram a lot but then when food is involved, I always find extra energy :)

    Hi FFichiban - I didn't even notice that but ha, do you know how long I had to wait until the pug sat in the perfect position? lol

    Oh Costco would be fun but you have to join up and pay a membership fee?

     
  • At 9/24/2009 4:29 pm, Anonymous lindsey clare said…

    gingerbread jandals! omg!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts