#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Red Chilli Sichuan, Chatswood » | Ipoh chicken and bean sprouts and Ipoh Night Marke... » | Le Monde, Surry Hills » | Marcus Wareing, Tetsuya Wakuda and Peter Gilmore a... » | Freebie Friday: Win a four-pack of Endeavour True ... » | Kungfu Ramen, Haymarket Chinatown » | Malaysian Food Festival at the Grace Hotel, Sydney » | Sizzling Fillo, Lidcombe » | Bacon and salted caramel slice for the Sydney Food... » | 2010 Vin de Champagne Awards at Becasse, Sydney »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rodriguez Brothers, Yagoona



The smell of lust.

I'm convinced that scientific analysis will tell you it smells just like jamon, the same wave of salty porcine pungency that hits me when I push open the door to Rodriguez Brothers.

If the smell doesn't make you weak at the knees, the sight of over 100 hanging legs of jamon will, the repetitive rows stretching off into the distance like a gourmand's mirage.



I stand there for a minute or two, greedily breathing in the heady aroma of this family smallgoods business, an impressive sight of deliciousness that outshines the tired shop interior, where the tiles are pastel pink and the shelves are rickety and leaning.


Salamis

Behind the counter are racks of Spanish salamis, hanging as prettily as any Christmas bauble. I want to hang them on all my Christmas tree this year.


Mild Spanish chorizo $10/kg

Perhaps most famous for their chorizo, these fresh sausages pack plenty of punch in every bite. They churn out over 700kg of chorizo per week, and offer them spicy or mild, as well as a sweet Filipino version. Even more impressive is the price, a maximum $10 per kilo.


Hot Spanish chorizo $10/kg

I take home a string of the hot Spanish version that cook up brilliantly, fatty and succulent with a lingering heat.


Parrilleros South American sausages $9/kg

Parrilleros are a coarser South American-style sausage that is made using both beef and pork.


Morcilla $9.00/kg

I'm most excited by the morcilla though, a Spanish version of black pudding that is made with pigs blood. I relished mine as a late breakfast with scrambled eggs and toast, but it's even better with boiled potatoes.


Olives stuffed with anchovies $3.50

By the counter are tins of green olives stuffed with anchovies ($3.50), which I scoop up as a perfect late night snack. I can't resist a package of white anchovies ($6.00) either.


White anchovies $6.00


Manchego cheese

There are cheeses and meats (the ribs are particularly meaty) in the cabinet, paella pans hanging from the ceiling and carving stands for jamon lined up on the counter. Forget the ham, I want a whole leg of jamon to feast on this Christmas!


Jamon carving stand


View Larger Map

Rodriguez Brothers
485 Hume Highway (Liverpool Road)
Yagoona, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9796 8903

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 7.30am-5.00pm
Saturday 7.30am-3pm


Related Grab Your Fork posts:
Nonna's Gourmet Sausages, Brookvale
Tender Value Meats, Hornsby
20 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 10/20/2010 12:47:00 am


20 Comments:

  • At 10/20/2010 7:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the posts, very interesting

     
  • At 10/20/2010 7:36 am, Anonymous john@heneedsfood said…

    So this is what makes you weak at the knees? I've got to say I agree with you. The smell alone makes my mouth water!

     
  • At 10/20/2010 8:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the post! It's a bit far away from my place but looks worth the trip!

     
  • At 10/20/2010 9:39 am, Anonymous mrs ed said…

    mmmmmmmm jamon!! :) when i come back from holiday i wanna take mr ed there!! :)

     
  • At 10/20/2010 9:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am from Argentina and this is the place where I usually buy the meat and sausages for my Sunday "asado" (Argentine charcoal/wood bbq). The "jamon" is great as well.

     
  • At 10/20/2010 10:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those pictures remind me of the open market in Florence. I love the smell of tons of meat and cheeses. I don't know what it is but there really are not many better smells in the world.

     
  • At 10/20/2010 10:24 am, Anonymous chocolatesuze said…

    dude my jamon deprived soul is sobbing in the corner.

     
  • At 10/20/2010 10:39 am, Blogger Sara @ Belly Rumbles said…

    Great price and great quality, win win, I like it :)

     
  • At 10/20/2010 11:27 am, Blogger Phuoc'n Delicious said…

    OMG! I think I have died and gone to heaven. Please excuse me because now I have to wipe all the saliva off from my keyboard lol

    I so know where I'm going next to grab some chorizo, would love to try the chilli one *drools*

     
  • At 10/20/2010 11:48 am, Anonymous Hannah said…

    I'm yet to try white anchovies! Actually, it's been years since I've even had normal anchovies in the fridge, which is strange, because I love the intense salty fishiness...

     
  • At 10/20/2010 3:15 pm, Blogger Brenda said…

    Thanks for this post! I can't wait to go try the Jamon here! Oooo and I'm working on my chorizo pasta post right now....would also love to try their chorizo too...yum!!!!!

     
  • At 10/20/2010 10:38 pm, Anonymous Tina@foodboozeshoes said…

    I like the price tags on those chorizos... very reasonable!

     
  • At 10/20/2010 10:41 pm, Anonymous Jamon so good said…

    More often than not, I want EVERYTHING from each of your photos. Parrilleros Check. Chorizo check. Salamis Check. Mocilla OMG checked. Jamon OMG OMG check!

    Even the butcher dude. check! he looked so grumpy that he needs a hug.

    I often get told that Argentina Asado need cut of meat different to what we normally get from Aussie butcher. Too bad there are no photos of those. Bummer. I think I would want those too. Check.

    Love this post. Check. This kind of post is what made me weak at the knees.

     
  • At 10/20/2010 11:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! What an amazing find. That looks like some serious Jamon.

     
  • At 10/21/2010 12:31 am, Blogger Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said…

    Salamis hanging from a Christmas tree! Brings a whole new definition to "edible decorations".

     
  • At 10/21/2010 1:35 am, Blogger Antonio said…

    Yes! Been weighing the idea of moving to Sydney for work (leaving the 'States)...and now based on your post I can relax knowing that there's somewhere to get my Manchego and other Spanish goods.

    Love the blog!

     
  • At 10/22/2010 12:33 pm, Anonymous Forager @ The Gourmet Forager said…

    Lust personified! Yum. I want a jamon leg to myself!

     
  • At 10/22/2010 9:34 pm, Anonymous Arwen from Hoglet K said…

    I never knew you could get a special stand for carving your jamon. That's cool. I love all the different flavours of sausages they've got.

     
  • At 10/24/2010 7:12 am, Anonymous Gianna said…

    Its like a carnivore cave of wonders!

    I am leaning towards your idea of a salami themed christmas tree - It would make boxing day a fun day of eating indeed! Here's hoping santa gets into the spirit and leaves me one of those hanging Jamons too!

     
  • At 7/27/2018 11:46 am, Anonymous Ed said…

    This place still going strong 8 years later in a bigger premises in Chester Hill now! Jamon....mmm....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts