#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | The Met and GC Oyster Bar » | The Girls Who Ate Everything » | The Lower East Side » | Chelsea Markets: Better than Disneyland » | Pumpkin, pudding and Prada » | Brooklyn » | I see D C » | K-nish? It's de-lish! » | South Street Seaport » | Murray Hill Diner, New York »

Monday, December 19, 2005

Shop 'til you drop

For a girl who loves her factory outlets, Woodbury Common is a scene of plastic fanatastic. Sunday was spent entirely at Woodbury Common, an hour's drive north of New York City, and home to a staggering 220 factory outlet shops.

The shops are stand-alone "shacks" in a bizarre ski-village type setting amidst the mountains. There are four giant parking lots and enough reduced tags to send any sensible shopper into an adrenalin-frenzy.

There was regular watch checking with reference to map movements (you really could get lost out here) and more than a couple of shopping bags were filled.

Monday involved another day trip, this time to Hoboken, New Jersey (now stop laughing New Yorkers). From what I can gather, New Jerseyans are oft looked down upon, mainly for their lack of driving skills in a population-bereft state (compared to New York).

The PATH train begins at the World Trade Centre, and we had a contemplative visit to the Twin Towers site beforehand. It's hard to fathom the events of that day and the timelines, people's stories and memorial plaques were all touching and sobering.

We had actually chosen to take a PATH train just so we could head through the World Trade Centre site, as the subway no longer stops at Cortlandt Street. There were some great views of the Financial District on the other side of the river in Hoboken, and we were pleasantly surprised by the wealth of eating options.

We found a fantastic wholefoods eatery, the Frozen Monkey Cafe, which makes all its own spreads, uses artisan bread and sources hand-made mozzarella. My grilled panini with arugula (rocket), roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella and pesto was divine, and I had the black bean soup which was thick, chunky and deliciously spicy.

Our freshly made blueberry pancakes were absolutely chockful of blueberries although we weren't so enamoured with our roasted almond fudge Tasty D-Lite ice-cream, which tasted of marzipan (bleargh).

Coming back to the World Trade Centre, we foolishly joined the Christmas crush at Century 21, the bargain department store for all New Yorkers. It was utter chaos and confusion. I have no idea what we were thinking!
7 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 12/19/2005 11:59:00 pm


7 Comments:

  • At 1/10/2006 9:25 pm, Blogger charlotte said…

    your visit to woodbury common made me smile - I grew up near another woodbury common!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/outdoors/walks/woodbury_common.shtml

     
  • At 1/10/2006 9:53 pm, Blogger M-H said…

    Oh no, not the icecream! I have yet to taste icecream in the US that is as good as NZ icecream - best in the world! I have thrown away some really disgusting things in cones in the US.

     
  • At 1/11/2006 7:32 am, Blogger Robyn said…

    Tasti D-Lite is...I dunno what it is. Well, it's not horrible, although apparently that depends on where you get it from and what flavor you get. I haven't had it in more than a year and I'm not missing it, hehe.

    Mmm, pancakes...

    I've never been insied Century 21, even though I live really close to it. Haven't really been around Hoboken either, although I'd like to sometime. I need to become a tourist in my own neighborhood, hehe.

     
  • At 1/11/2006 4:18 pm, Blogger Rose said…

    oy dear.

    Yes, I laughed...you went to HOBOKEN. NJ. I hope you got to see Sinatra's boyhood home (that quite frankly is the only site seeing place there).

    I will say this with a tad bit of hesitation, but if you head a bit south, NJ is actually kind of nice-good blueberry farms.

    I haven't been there in a while, but Woodbury is a mammoth, gigantic hole of american consumerism. It can be fun, but daunting.

    As a NY'er, I've been to the twin towers site once--for five very sad minutes. That's enough for now. I can't imagine what its like for outsiders to view it.

    I need to check out this Frozen Monkey place. artisan bread...yummy :-)

     
  • At 1/12/2006 12:08 pm, Blogger Hungry Hedonist said…

    I'd never tasted Tasti D-Lite until I went to school in New York. It was a big hit a while ago, after being featured on the show Sex and the City as a low calorie ice cream for dieters. My personal take on it is you need a LOT of imagination to taste any hint of ice cream..

    Nice blog!

     
  • At 4/18/2009 9:38 pm, Anonymous Alexandra said…

    ive read these posts over and over again and the excitement that set in when coming to this one knowing that a) i am going in exactly a month!! b) i am going to woodbury and c) i am taking uncle kevs $900 to help stimulate the american economy was unbelieveable! my stomach did a little flip!! Thanks for adding to my excitement helen!!

     
  • At 4/18/2009 10:58 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Alexandra - Oh I'm so jealous. You will have so much fun I'm sure! Am sure you will shop like crazy :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts