#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Chinese New Year Eve: the build-up » | Eat Our Words » | Green Mango Salad » | Happy Chinese New Year » | Too Much Information Meme: 10 Things About Me » | Food for Thought » | Rose of Australia Hotel, Erskineville » | Under the bridge » | Buffalo stance » | Quintessential New York »

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Grate stuff

A recent post on my homemade green mango salad generated a couple of queries about zigzag graters: what were they and where could you get them from.

The one I use was brought back from Vietnam by ever-thoughtful friends of mine. I couldn't find a picture of it on Google so in the post comments I suggested a julienne peeler which is often available from kitchenwares in department stores. A julienne peeler will work but a) you get matchsticks which are a little crunchy when you're dealing with green mango, and b) you can't peel as fast as a zigzag grater.

And then, today, I found one!

Julienne peeler

This baby is brilliant for rapid peel action. The black plastic bit clicks around in a circle and rotates the blade, meaning it can be used by both left and right handers (woohoo!).

I haven't tried the other features yet (zigzag cuts and orange segmenting aren't usually things I indulge in) but if you're after a green mango salad fast, then this is what you're after.

Product: Kom-Kom Miracle Zig Zag peeler

Use it: to shred green mangoes, green papaya, daikon, carrots etc; make pretty zig zag cuts into spherical fruits and veggies; and segment oranges.

Bonus points: can be used by left and right handers

Cost: $9.50

Get it from:

Pontip Exotic Fruit
16 Campbell St Haymarket, Sydney
(in-between the two BBQ shops near Mission Australia;
there's a Lucky Thai video shop out the front)

Tel: +61 (02) 9211 2208
3 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 2/01/2006 09:19:00 pm


3 Comments:

  • At 2/01/2006 11:35 pm, Blogger PiCkLeS said…

    oOOo I know exactly where you're talking about...I think I'm going to go buy myself one.

     
  • At 2/02/2006 7:11 am, Blogger Mona said…

    wow i've never heard of or seen such a thing. sounds GREAT. will have to look into buying one for myself.

     
  • At 2/02/2006 3:25 pm, Blogger Rose said…

    I wonder where we can get one of these things in NYC. It could be useful for so many types of salads!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts