#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Horumon soba, Hello Kitty and lots of yaki » | Himeji Castle and the running man » | Cycling in Takayama » | Takayama Morning Markets » | Tokyo to Takayama » | Kanda Matsuri Festival » | Noodles in Tokyo » | Nishiki-Koji food market and kaiseki in Kyoto » | Rain and a bamboo forest » | Breakfast, a festival and the dance of the traffic... »

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The beginning of the end

In a country where blowing your nose is considered rude and unhygienic, Japan must be the worst place to catch a cold.

I woke up today with a cold.

Sore throat, the beginning of the sniffles and a head ache that wouldn't go away. Ger-rrrrrreat.

Breakfast was had at a noodle bar around the corner. A plain wakame soba for me, tempura soba for Veruca and Speedster. If there's one consolation about Japan, it's the abundance of cleansing comfort food available - plenty of soup and noodles is just what the doctor ordered.

Speedster and I visited Osaka Castle, not as large or majestic as Himeji Castle, but perhaps more elegant with its decadent gold trim roof. We had to battle hundreds of tourists and plenty of school kids, but everyone was well-behaved and the 8th floor viewing platform afforded a great vista of the city.

Back on the shinkansen to Tokyo and today's obento box was a decadent 1300 yen selection that included an abundance of goodies: eel, octopus, fish, broad bean, pumpkin and tamago that had a stamp on it!

In Komagome, Tokyo, we headed to an izakaya for dinner but by this point the smell of oil started to get to me and I politely excluded myself. I heard that their food was fantastic. Freshly fried chicken, a whole squid and somen noodles were eaten whilst sipping on beer chilling quietly in the iced water filled trough in front of you. We even spotted the Australian Two Dogs brand. Meanwhile I threw caution to the wind and headed to the pharmacy in search of medicine.

Then I had an allergic reaction. Then I broke out in hives. Then it felt like the beginning of the end...

Read the next Japan entry Read the first Japan entry





3 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 5/17/2007 11:54:00 pm


3 Comments:

  • At 5/21/2007 8:37 am, Blogger PiCkLeS said…

    take care of yourself!! hope you get well soon!

     
  • At 5/22/2007 9:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :( Boo to the allergic reaction. Do you know what it was? I tend to carry a bottle of antihistamine around when I'm travelling, you never know...

     
  • At 5/24/2007 9:13 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Pickles - Thanks for the well wishes and yep I'm on the mend now. The final stages of coughing so hurrah, almost 100%.

    Hi Tracey - I have no idea but I've kept the medicine so I can try and get it translated to work out what it was. I don't normally get allergic reactions but this one was particularly intense. Sometimes I travel with antihistamines but I've known people who have had allergic reactions to them as well! Argh! lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts