Have you noticed the brightly coloured tins appearing in Asian grocery stores?
The Mid-Autumn Moon Festival falls on October 3 this year, a time for families to come together and eat mooncakes and pomelos, beneath the bright and full mid-autumn moon.
The packaging and flavours of mooncakes continues to evolve each year. These fancy mooncake gift boxes are probably the most impressive I've seen - the one on the left has drawers which are secured by the chopstick at the front. Perfect for re-using as a jewellery box!
Image by Hei Yue Thong
Grab Your Fork recently received some sample boxes of o-mochi mooncakes by Hei Yue Thong, presented in beautifully decorated packaging.
Sonata Combo Bento gift box
The Sonata Combo: white lotus 2 yolk,
green tea with milk, mixed nut and chestnut o-mochi
Autumn Romance 4A Butterfly pattern
Autumn Romance 4A: green tea o-mochi,
chocolate o-mochi, pandan o-mochi and chestnut o-mochi
What is an o-mochi mooncake?
Chestnut o-mochi, chocolate o-mochi and green tea o-mochi mooncakes
Chestnut, green tea tea and chocolate mooncakes with mochi
Instead of the traditional salted egg yolk, o-mochi mooncakes have a chewy ball of pounded rice cake--or mochi--in the middle. The unusual flavours provide a new twist on an old favourite, although the thin baked skin of the traditional mooncake remains the same.
The chocolate mooncake has an almost fudgy texture and the flavour of the green tea mooncake isn't too overwhelming. Chestnut was a favourite with everyone with its fragrance and delicate nutty flavour.
Curious to try some yourself? Thanks to Australian distributors Amyson, we have
Prize giveaway for Grab Your Fork readers
1 x box of Autumn Romance o-mochi mooncakes (valued at about AU$30)
Due to an overwhelming response, there are
HOW TO ENTER:
All you have to do is,
- Add a comment to this post with your answer to the question: "What's your favourite thing about Autumn (or the mid-Autumn Moon Festival)?"
- Send an email to email@example.com with your full name and a copy of your posted comment to the question above.
- This competition is open to entrants with an address in Sydney or Melbourne only.
- Competition closes on Wednesday 23 September 2009 at 5.00pm AEST. Winners will be announced on Friday 25 September 2009.
- The winners will be drawn randomly.
THE WINNERS have been announced here.
107 comments - Add some comment love
9/11/2009 12:36:00 am