#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Macaron Day at Adriano Zumbo Patisserie, Balmain » | A nose-to-tail dinner party » | A Taste of Peru, a plateful of alpaca » | Sweet corn ice cream, Tiong Bahru Market, crab and... » | Kaya toast, the MINT toy museum and Maxwell Food C... » | Nuffnang Asia-Pacific Blog Awards 2009 » | Sugar Hits at The Grace Hotel, Glass and Azuma Kus... » | Interview: Ten Questions with Luke Nguyen (and ano... » | Canh Chua tamarind broth with silver perch and ele... » | How to make your own mozzarella and camembert »

Friday, November 06, 2009

Freebie Friday Double: Win a Scanpan Classic Roaster and movie tickets to see The Boys Are Back


Thank God It's Friday!

Did you back a winner in the Melbourne Cup? If not, never fear, because Freebie Friday is here!

Today we have TWO competitions to enter, and there are SEVEN chances to win! You can enter both competitions and submit entries each day. Please note the different closing dates for each competition.



Prize #1:
Scanpan Classic Roaster


Love a Sunday roast but dread the prospect of washing up?
The kind folk at KitchenwareDirect have kindly donated TWO Scanpan roasting pans that will put an end to your washing-up tears. Bake a chicken, roast a side of beef or caramelise vegetables to your heart's content - then rejoice as the sticky residue slides effortlessly off the ceramic titanium non-stick coating.

Like all Scanpan Classic products, this roaster tray is guaranteed for life to never chip, flake, blister, or crack. If you miss out on winning this prize, you can get your own from KitchenwareDirect for only $119 - that's less than half the recommended retail price!


THE PRIZE:
One Scanpan Classic Roaster in medium size (5L capacity)
RRP $258.99

There are two roasters to win.
This competition is open to Australian residents only.


HOW TO ENTER:
All you have to do is:
  1. Leave a comment on this post and tell us what's the first thing you would you cook in this roasting tray?

  2. Send an email to grabyourforkfreebiefriday@yahoo.com.au with the subject heading "Roast" and include your full name and a copy of your published comment on this post.
The winning entry will be decided on the basis of originality and/or creativity. Readers may submit one entry per day. Judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.

The Scanpan Roaster competition closes on Friday 20/11/09 at 5.30pm AEST. The two winners will be announced on Grab Your Fork on Monday 23/11/09.

~~~



Prize #2:
Movie passes to The Boys Are Back


Our second giveaway is for in-season movie passes to The Boys Are Back. Directed by David Hicks (Shine) and starring Clive Owen (Closer and Gosford Park), this new Australian film was primarily shot in the beautiful countryside of South Australia.

The film is based on the memoirs of Simon Carr, a writer and columnist who found himself suddenly responsible for bringing up two sons following the tragic death of his wife. It's a story about family, coping with crisis, dealing with life, and a father's new-found parenting philosophy to "just say yes".

Carr said that he originally wrote the memoir "to tell what it was like for a single father to bring up two boys in an all-male household."

The movie soundtrack includes music by Icelandic band Sigur Rós, Australian grunge group Mayfield, and original compositions by Hal Lindes (ex-Dire Straits).


THE PRIZE:
An in-season double pass to see The Boys Are Back.

There are FIVE double passes to win (Australian residents only).

The film opens across Australia on November 12, 2009. Watch the trailer or visit the official The Boys Are Back site.


HOW TO ENTER:
All you have to do is:
  1. Leave a comment on this post and tell us what's one rule you would, or do instil as a parent? It doesn't have to be complex - "eat your vegetables", "clean your room" or "dont run with scissors" will do, although originality, creativity and/or humour counts!

  2. Send an email to grabyourforkfreebiefriday@yahoo.com.au with the subject heading "Boys" and include your full name and a copy of your published comment on this post.
The winning entry will be decided on the basis of originality, creativity and/or humour. Readers may submit one entry per day. Judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.

The Boys Are Back competition closes on Friday 13/11/09 at 5.30pm AEST. The five winners will be announced on Grab Your Fork on Monday 16/11/09.

~~~


Luke's mum with copies of his new book The Songs of Sapa

Don't forget you still have one week left to enter the Freebie Friday competition to win a copy of Luke Nguyen's lastest book, The Songs of Sapa. You've been watching his series, Luke Nguyen's Vietnam on SBS - now get the book to make all the recipes! Enter now!
44 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 11/06/2009 12:32:00 am


44 Comments:

  • At 11/06/2009 8:18 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    The first thing I would cook in the pan is some sticky baked pumpkin for my caramelised onion, pumpkin and blue cheese pizza.

     
  • At 11/06/2009 9:02 am, Blogger Carmen said…

    The first thing I would cook in the pan is a turkey for Christmas!!!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 9:36 am, Blogger Alibongo said…

    I would make a lovely big tray of roasted veggies - potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot, onion, red capsicum, tomatoes, herbs and garlic. delicious!!!!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 9:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The first thing that i would cook would be a disgustingly rich potato bake, complete with bacon, bacon and more bacon!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 10:12 am, Blogger Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said…

    The first thing I would cook in the pan would have to be a roast chook with vegies. Believe it or not, after many years of cooking, it's something I've never done! Might have something to do with not having a super roasting pan...

     
  • At 11/06/2009 11:21 am, Anonymous jR said…

    I'd first bake a cup of plain sugar.. to test out its non-stick qualities.. haha. (I've gotta see it to believe it~)

    ..and then I'd roast a good slab of pork belly on low low heat for 3-5 hours and let the pork juices drip down to a bed of roughly cut potatoes, onions, parsnip, and unpeeled garlic. MMmmMM..

     
  • At 11/06/2009 11:33 am, Blogger cmac said…

    The first thing I would cook is the loin roast you did here with yummy crackling.

    http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-pork-crackling-and-maple.html

    With some caramelised pears and apples.

    This earlier post gave me inspiration to tackle my own and now it is a fave amongst my friends and family.

     
  • At 11/06/2009 12:53 pm, Anonymous jude dodd said…

    First thing would be what I call Twitter Eggplants. It's a fantastic recipe for lebanese stuffed eggplants, with lamb, rice, and pinenuts....swimming in a devine tomato bath. Found recipe on twitter....food of the gods.

     
  • At 11/06/2009 1:04 pm, Anonymous The Ninja said…

    Were I to become a parent, I would force my children to have good memories. This is essential in my opinion because every good ninja has to memorise reams and reams of data about his or her target: their sleeping patterns, their romantic liaisons, their tooth-brushing schedule, and so on. It is also essential to surviving in the field - what if you forget where the nearest ammunition cache is, or where you slayed your treacherous partner?

    And, of course, you must never forget your boss' favourite food. Especially when you are placed on ninja-catering duty. Since I, as any parent, would wish my children to grow up in my spitting image, this is what I would instil in them. Besides, of course, being awesome.

     
  • At 11/06/2009 1:29 pm, Blogger hazchem said…

    what's the first thing you would you cook in this roasting tray? That's easy, the greatest roast meat of them all - A leg of lamb. Nothing complex, seasoned well, some slivers of garlic and rosemary (from our herb garden) sprigs crammed into shallow holes in the meat, a few potatoes and maybe some capsicum to roast as well. If the beetroot in our garden is ready, maybe some of that too. Once its all done then a gravy made on the pan juices, a little red wine, plain flour and water from steaming the broad beans, again from our garden if it needed.

    Now i'm hungry!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 1:52 pm, Blogger Jo said…

    The first thing I would cook would be a family favourite in our house... Tatws Popty! Its a welsh dish that's a combination between a roast and a stew. Using potatoes, lamb pieces onions, carrots and the meat/vegetables juices - one bowl full is not enough!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 1:56 pm, Blogger Jo said…

    As for being a parent myself, the main rule in our house it "ensure you always tell the truth". Children always tell the truth until they are taught to lie.... sadly it's a fact. As they grow, they imitate us especially when we do the wrong thing! SO in our house no matter what - the truth rules!! Even when it comes down to my cooking - they have to tell me the truth!! LOL!!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 2:03 pm, Anonymous Lauren said…

    I think the first thing I would cook would be a cranberry glazed turkey with sausage, dried cranberry and apple stuffing surrounding it. It's become the new tradition of my family for me, the youngest capable girl in the family, to cook Thanksgiving dinner- and I could use all the help I can get!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 4:02 pm, Anonymous Nancy said…

    The first thing I would do is a classic roast chicken - I've always wanted to try one but have never had an opportunity.

     
  • At 11/06/2009 4:21 pm, Blogger fleury said…

    the first thing I would cook would have to be a huge chunky pork shoulder!give it 4 or 5 hours and voila....pulled pork perfection!

     
  • At 11/06/2009 5:35 pm, Blogger Mrs S said…

    the first thing i'd cook in the roaster would roast pork with dill roast potatoes, pumpkin, onions with lots of crispy crackling! server with a homemade version of ikea meatball gravy (it was meant for roast pork believe me!(. YUM!

     
  • At 11/07/2009 3:10 am, Blogger Birry said…

    The first thing I would cook would be the humble roasted vegetables! Once I can get that right, I'll add the pork or lamb or chicken or kangaroo...just got to get the veges right first.

     
  • At 11/07/2009 5:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My only rule as a parent would be: Thou shalt not utter the words 'sous-vide', 'beurre blanc', or 'delice' until you are at least tall enough to see over the stove ....

     
  • At 11/07/2009 6:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would intend to cook a hearty lasagne dish layered with a rich home-made bolognese meat sauce, complemented with freshly picked basil and some bitey mozzarella cheese.

    But you know what...being an Asian household the pan would probably be "borrowed" by mum to keep the nem nung (grilled Vietnamese pork balls) warm in the oven while the rest are on the bbq.

     
  • At 11/08/2009 1:48 am, Blogger YoudDegustMe said…

    The first thing I would cook in the scanpan roaster will be some Turducken ! (for xmas!)

     
  • At 11/08/2009 2:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the first thing I would cook is roasted pork ... ooo the crackling crispy skin with the tiny bit of fat which adds to the chewyness...and that succulent piece of meat that sinks between you teeth…. *drools*

     
  • At 11/09/2009 9:10 am, Blogger Apple said…

    Without a doubt, the first thing I would have to cook in it is a lamb roast. Surrounded by potatos, onions, tomatos and garlic! Rosemary through the lot!
    Nothing I like better then a great roast!

     
  • At 11/09/2009 3:07 pm, Blogger bri said…

    I'm inspired by your recent nose-to-tail post, and would really love to have a go at roasting a pig's head. I'm pretty adventurous in the kitchen, except when it comes to non-standard meat cuts - living in Hobart, offal is just not all that common and I haven't tried much.
    So, pig's head would the first thing I'd cook, as the Scanpan roaster looks like it would the right size!

    Second would be some lovely, crispy roast potatoes, of course

     
  • At 11/09/2009 4:12 pm, Anonymous Blake Price said…

    The first thing I would roast in my new Scanpan would be my old, shoddy roasting pan. Two weeks on and the memory of nachos seems forever etched into its soul/base. Free me, Scanpan.

     
  • At 11/09/2009 9:06 pm, Anonymous Deidre Steain said…

    As tempting as a complicated dish sounds to be the first thing I cook, I think I'd have to roast my scruptious roast pork with sage and macadamia stuffing. A definite family favourite.

     
  • At 11/10/2009 8:52 pm, Anonymous W said…

    One rule I would instil as a parent is to respect your elders. Their life experience, wisdom and good advice demand our full attention and respect.

     
  • At 11/10/2009 8:53 pm, Anonymous W said…

    Roasting tray and balsamic lamb (http://www.thesecretrecipe.com.au/index.php?navi=recipe&RID=182). It's perfect!!!

     
  • At 11/11/2009 2:15 pm, Anonymous Tzu-yang said…

    I would definitely use it to make duck confit. I have now collected enough duck fat that if i put about 2kg of duck maryland it and pour the fat over it, it should be about 1 layer. Pop it in the oven at about 120deg and let it simmer away slowly for a 1.5-2hrs until it falls off the bone.
    Then i would pull it out of the fat, and grill it for that awesome crispy skin!

     
  • At 11/11/2009 3:39 pm, Anonymous notgeorgeclooney said…

    In the Scanpan: Potatoes roasted in duck fat. That's 3 of my favourite things: Potatoes. Duck. And fat. Or anything roasted in duck fat. Duck fat roasted in duck fat.
    (Kudos to Alex who said: Turducken.)

    My one rule as a parent: don't be afraid to question everything your teachers tell you. Just don't question me.

     
  • At 11/11/2009 4:55 pm, Anonymous divemummy said…

    My one rule as a parent: if you're going to have junkfood you have to eat something healthy like a piece of fruit first.

     
  • At 11/11/2009 8:58 pm, Anonymous Carmen said…

    My mum used to say "never talk with your mouth full". I will instil this in my kid just so they can enjoy the wonderful flavour of my dishes :)

     
  • At 11/12/2009 8:24 pm, Anonymous WC said…

    Never leave unwashed plates on the sink. There are no fairygod mother around to clean it overnight!

     
  • At 11/12/2009 8:45 pm, Anonymous WJ said…

    A simple roast chicken with zest of lemon, thyme, honey on top of bed of sweet potatoes. Heart warming.

     
  • At 11/13/2009 2:20 pm, Anonymous HW said…

    I will cook roast chicken with lemon and tarragon butter

     
  • At 11/13/2009 3:05 pm, Blogger Kate said…

    I would roast a cake.

    Wow. That does not sound the least bit appetizing. Rather; I would bake a cake using the roasting pan to discover whether a quality piece of cookware can save my baking from the horrors my rubbish rental 'Chef-O-Master Deluxe' oven continuously inflicts upon their delicate dispostition. Please, I can't bear anymore soggy-in-the-middle-crispy-on-the-bottom versions of the heavenly 'Tres Leches' cake.

     
  • At 11/13/2009 4:03 pm, Anonymous KD said…

    I will roast coriander black peppered roasted pork on a bed of rosemary infused caramelised garlic and onion.

     
  • At 11/16/2009 2:14 pm, Anonymous Harimau said…

    Roast... probably confit duck.

     
  • At 11/17/2009 10:26 pm, Anonymous Dan said…

    First item out of the oven: Semolina potatoes.

    In a pre-heated oven, drizzle olive oil and scatter some crushed garlic into the pan.
    Roughly cut and microwave the potatoes in a microwave container with lid on.
    Pour in coarse semolina and toss to coat the potatoes.
    Lay out the potatoes on the roasting pan, and drizzle more olive oil. Scatter some more garlic because you can never have enough.

    The semolina gives you super crunchy golden potatoes, although there's a lot of scrubbing to get the charcoalled semolina off a non-stick.

     
  • At 11/18/2009 1:05 pm, Anonymous Kat99 said…

    I've never actually cooked a roast, I know, shock, horror, as I've always been a pasta and dessert kind of gal. So I'd christen the roasting pan by attempting my very first roast. Beef of course because I love the yorkshire puddings that traditionally go with it.

     
  • At 11/20/2009 12:22 pm, Blogger Jasmine1485 said…

    It would have to be something grand (for me at least) for the roasting pan's first outing. My favourite roast is shoulder of lamb, studded with slivers of garlic and sprigs of rosemary and rubbed with olive oil before being sprinkled with salt and cracked pepper. Then you roast it slooooow, until it's falling apart tender. There'd be some potatoes roasting under the lamb (which would be on a rack), and some onions and carrots, all absorbing the lovely lamby, garlicky juices. When it was cooked, I'd use those juices to make a rich, red-wine gravy, scraping up all the browned goodness from the bottom of the pan. Oh dear, I made myself hungry!

     
  • At 11/20/2009 12:27 pm, Blogger Jasmine1485 said…

    This isn't another entry, but I didn't read the other comments before I posted, so now I'm mildly freaked out that my entry was so similar to an earlier one, right down to making myself hungry :S

     
  • At 11/20/2009 1:23 pm, Anonymous Audrey said…

    I'll try and roast some chestnuts in there...try and recreate that nice burnt charcoal taste

     
  • At 11/20/2009 3:36 pm, Blogger A cupcake or two said…

    I would use it to make the best roast for Christmas. Pork with extra crackling and home made apple sauce. Yummmm

     
  • At 11/20/2009 4:15 pm, Anonymous W.H. said…

    I'd roast a chicken for sure. It's my favourite meal to make ever and nothing compliments a roast chicken more perfectly than an awesome gravy (which IMO, can only be made with the caramelized bits left at the end of roasting)! It'd be wonderful to have the caramelized bits slide off the roasting pan easily rather than having to scrape any little bit I can get like I usually do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts