#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Luxe Bakery Cafe, Newtown » | Food courts in the Philippines » | Teochew dinner: Stomachs Eleven » | Signorelli Gastronomia, Pyrmont » | Freebie Friday: Win a box of Christmas cupcakes fr... » | Lechon, Jollibee and sizzling sisig - Manila, Phil... » | Chat Thai, Haymarket Chinatown » | Single Origin Roasters, Surry Hills » | Tan Viet Noodle House, Cabramatta » | Spicy Panda, Haymarket Chinatown »

Monday, November 29, 2010

Hello! Kyochon Chatswood



EDIT: Hello! Kyochon is now closed

Fried chicken is my weakness.

Is there anything more magical than crunching through a layer of golden batter and sinking your teeth into sweet and juicy chicken?


Complimentary cabbage salad

An impromptu dinner is no excuse to contend with the tried and tested. I could barely type 'yes' fast enough when fried chicken was mentioned in the lazy tic-tac of group emails.

We push open the doors to Hello! Kyochon and are greeted by the sight of a basket of fried chicken, draining over the deep-fryer. The chef barely glances at us, and we make our own way down the corridor and into the dining area out the back.

The decor can only be described as minimalist as best but patrons - mostly Korean - seem more focussed on the food than any sense of romantic ambience.


Korean seafood pancake $15

We pick at miniature plates of complimentary cabbage salad before our pajeon seafood pancake arrives, thin and somewhat crispy, made with egg, flour, water, shallots, garlic and prawns.


Fried chicken and spicy marinated chicken $32

Our group of seven orders three half-serves of fried chicken, covering the variations of plain, soy and spicy fried chicken. The batter is delightfully gnarled and knobbly, perfect for nibbling on.

I take my time to extricate every bit of meat and batter from the plain fried chicken, and whilst I enjoy the sticky chilli sweetness of the spicy marinated chicken, the soy version is my favourite - balanced well between sweet and salty.


Spicy marinated chicken


Bulgogi tofu soup $13

Bulgogi tofu soup is a surprise highlight, a huddle of grilled beef, Chinese cabbage and wobbly tofu in a broth that is fiery with chilli. It's spicily addictive.


Seafood dagkalbi for three $54 ($18 per person)

Most diners here share enormous pans of meat or seafood, cooked on the hotplates built into each table. We order the seafood dagkalbi for three people, a colourful mix of vegetables and seafood smothered with kochujang hot bean paste.



A silent but efficient waiter lends a hand with the cooking, stirring the gochujang across the ingredients as the dish slowly heats up from below. By the time we're done with the chicken, the dish is ready, a bubbling magma that is a scavenger's delight of calamari, prawns, mussels, cabbage, noodles and shallots.


Spicy cheese marinated chicken dish $30

But it's the spicy cheese marinated chicken that grabs my attention.



Chicken, spicy bean paste and a layer of molten cheese. Hello! Kyochon. Hel-lo!



View Larger Map
Hello! Kyochon on Urbanspoon

Hello! Kyochon (CLOSED)
76A Archer Street, Chatswood, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9411 8766

Opening hours:
Open 7 days from 5pm til late


Related Grab Your Fork posts:
Chatswood - New Shanghai, Chatswood Chase
Chatswood - New Shanghai, Lemon Grove
Chatswood - Red Chilli Sichuan
Chatswood - Ten Ren Cha for Tea
18 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 11/29/2010 06:08:00 am


18 Comments:

  • At 11/29/2010 9:07 am, Blogger Mel said…

    Oh wow - this looks really good and so different to the types of food I've had before at Korean BBQ. I like the look of the seafood pancake (I'm obsessed with pancakes I think).

     
  • At 11/29/2010 9:36 am, Anonymous eatmarvin said…

    I love Fried Chicken too! And the Spicy Cheese Marinated Chicken looks great. It almost looks like Pizza with all that cheese. Yum!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 10:00 am, Anonymous chocolatesuze said…

    cheese! how it stretches!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 10:12 am, Anonymous A said…

    Spicy cheese marinated chicken dish looks awesome!
    is it me or is korean food pretty expensive, though?

    A

     
  • At 11/29/2010 11:13 am, Blogger Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said…

    Fried chicken and melted cheese???? Phew! I'm heading over there right now!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 11:55 am, Blogger Stephcookie said…

    Ooh I haven't been here! I have a weakness for fried chicken too, get a craving for it every few weeks. Mmm the tofu soup looks deliciously spicy and yay for melted cheese!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 12:04 pm, Anonymous Tina@foodboozeshoes said…

    Oh wow - that's like all my fave things on a Korean menu!

    I have a fried chicken problem too... to the point of supermarket chicken nuggets... :S

     
  • At 11/29/2010 1:50 pm, Anonymous Howard said…

    Love it, especially the cheese. Good to see this style of korean food (KFC and cheese chicken) expand outside of the CBD!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 2:47 pm, Anonymous Hannah said…

    How is it that no one here has started their comment with "Hello!"? I'm flabbergasted. So...

    Hello!

    I love the tofu soup - it looks like a volcano of deliciousness erupting everywhere :)

     
  • At 11/29/2010 3:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am craving some deep fried chicken so badly!!! Diet is fail... thanks a lot Helen XP

     
  • At 11/29/2010 3:23 pm, Anonymous Jacq said…

    I've been wanting to come here for ages to try their KFC! Love the shot of that stretchy cheese, looks awesome!

     
  • At 11/29/2010 5:38 pm, Anonymous john@heneedsfood said…

    Spicy cheese marinated chicken. I want to dive right in

     
  • At 11/29/2010 8:09 pm, Anonymous catty said…

    This is crazy!! I wonder if this is the same KyoChon chain as in LA!!! When I'm in LA I seriously have Kyochon like every second day, that's how much I love their fried chicken! I hope it's the same as I'm moving back to Sydney next year *wooooh*

     
  • At 11/29/2010 9:43 pm, Anonymous thang@noodlies said…

    wow, there's a few dishes there that look different from other korean i've tried.. like that cheesy dish at the end.. should try it out.

     
  • At 11/29/2010 10:49 pm, Anonymous Chris said…

    I can live without fried chicken but the Spicy cheese marinated chicken looks so tempting! :)) I also crave for the Seafood dagkalbi and the tofu soup. All yummy!

     
  • At 11/30/2010 10:20 am, Anonymous Zina @ tastedbytwo said…

    It irks me a little that the chicken here is pre-fried and re-fried, but the flavour is fantastic.

     
  • At 11/30/2010 4:01 pm, Blogger susan said…

    Fried chicken is the best! I love the Fried chicken at Mamak. I am yet to have Korean fried chicken though...something I will definitely have to rectify in the near future.

     
  • At 12/01/2010 2:26 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi A - The cheesy chicken was delish. It's not overly expensive - we paid about $30 per head including drinks.

    Hi Hannah - I'm glad you did. lol.

    Hi FFichiban - It's all about moderation, right? :)

    Hi Catty - I don't think it's the same chain, but woohoo you're coming back to Sydney. Time to get your eating list ready!

    Hi Zina - I thought that double-frying was the secret to Korean fried chicken? Just like chips - extra crispy :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts