#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Bar Fly: Pier 26, Darling Harbour » | IMBB#14: Orange You Hungry » | IMBB#14: Tarka dhal » | IMBB#14: Moroccan carrot dip » | IMBB#14: German carrots cooked in beer » | SHF#7: Dense gingerbread » | The World's 50 Best Restaurants » | Snapped: The Bridge by Night » | Killing Heidi, Tumbalong Park » | Northside Produce Market »

Saturday, April 30, 2005

EoMEoTE #6: Warm and sunny

In the fried egg world you're either a runny-yolk person, or you're a... Neanderthal.

Why anyone would deny themselves the bliss of piercing the golden sun of a barely cooked egg yolk is beyond me. Rich, thick and eggy it oozes languidly into your toast providing nourishment and comfort.

So for this month's End of Month Eggs on Toast Extravanga #6 it was back to basics. Fried egg on toast. Extra runny. Guaranteed. Here's how...



In the Old Days, I used to hop from one foot to the other mentally willing the egg white to cook faster than the egg yolk. It was a nail-biting dilemma--should I risk a blasphemous firm set egg yolk or cut my losses and enjoy yolky goodness with the risk of gelatinous gloopy uncooked egg white?

Until one day.
When Everything Changed.

It was an ordinary morning when I watched an egg-spert tap an egg on the benchtop, crack its shell open, and then pour the egg innards over his cupped hand above the sizzling frypan.

Egg white drizzled into the frypan, egg yolk lay nestled in palm of hand.

Genius.

Wait 10 seconds of the egg white to cook then gently slide the precious egg yolk onto the silky white mattress. Cook for as long as you desire and then slide that quivering baby onto your waiting toast.

Look. Smile. And then poke.
*sigh*



This is also how I cook my eggs for that empty-fridge favourite--runny fried eggs on fluffy white rice with a splash of light soy. *shudder*

Runny egg yolk soaking into rice granules.
Protein and carbs.
Sweet and salty.

Goodness never came so easily or cheap.

For a full summary of all the EoMEoTE #6 entries, check out Jeanne's wrap-up at Cook Sister!

Related GrabYourFork entries:
EoMEoTE#5: Eggy-mite
EoMEoTE#4: Chorizo and rocket
8 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 4/30/2005 11:59:00 pm


8 Comments:

  • At 5/01/2005 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, that is such an Asian thing isn't it? It is my number 2 ultimate comfort food. Fried runny egg on plain white rice with a splash of soy. Mmmm. My number 1 ultimate comfort food being Maggi Mee 2 minute noodles. Hah!

    Noodlebowl

     
  • At 5/01/2005 10:27 pm, Blogger Anthony said…

    Indeed. What a tragedy non-runny yolks are. The rush of runny yolk after I deliver my coup de grâce is a great thrill.

     
  • At 5/02/2005 1:56 am, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Oh, I like!

    I've always been a 'dippy' egg gal, myself. My poor hubby just doesn't know how to cook eggs, so I always have to do it myself...and I'm going to give that trick a try.

    Fried eggs on rice, with soy sauce? New to me, but I know I'd love it!

     
  • At 5/02/2005 4:30 am, Blogger sylvie1950 said…

    My passion is to dip crisp bacon strip into runny egg yolks. Simple pleasure. It's a waste hard cook a fried egg. Might as well have hard boiled.

     
  • At 5/02/2005 7:43 am, Blogger Nic said…

    Brilliant! What a fabulous tip.

     
  • At 5/02/2005 10:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this trick very much. And now I can put to use my egg strainer/seperator more often. Yipee!

     
  • At 5/08/2005 5:29 pm, Blogger Ms One Boobie said…

    Sorry.. AG,
    Donch like running eggs.. :(
    Perhaps it because my mum used to make half boil eggs for us.. EVERYDAY..!! for the first 10 yrs of my life..hahah!!

     
  • At 3/23/2007 11:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I may be the last to try it and comment, but I think I'm among the most excited and grateful. Last night here in London I did the rice, soy suace, ripe avocado and perfect fried egg combo. The white was crispy, the yolk was warm and runny, my tummy was happy :D What an obvious idea to keep the yolk back. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts