#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | It's a Big Ad » | Northside Produce Market, July 2005 » | Anzac biscuits » | Chopsticks in Chinatown Part III: Lucky Thai Sweet... » | Grab Your Diary, 21 July - 22 August » | Bastille Day @ La Peniche, Stanmore » | Chopsticks in Chinatown, Part II: Dim sum fun » | Chopsticks in Chinatown, Part I: Dragon Star, Haym... » | Hot, blonde and full of kisses » | New comments feature »

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Chopsticks in Chinatown, Part IV: Thai Kee Supermarket, Haymarket

I love supermarkets.

Some people spend their weekends at the art gallery. Others go hiking. Whereas I'm quite happy to browse through the aisles of a supermarket for hoooouuuuurrrrrs.

Of course when you're in an 'ethnic' supermarket, there are even more things to examine and scrutinise.

Saffron, Pinkcocoa, Shin Chan and I headed to Thai Kee supermarket in Chinatown's Market City after a morning of yum cha, dim sum and Thai desserts.

Thai Kee is Huge. Colossal. Massive. Heaven.



I've spent many happy hours browsing the aisles here--probably one of the largest Asian grocers in Sydney. And having a camera in hand makes me realise the huge range available...


Japanese crockery sets


Rice cookers


Stocks of woks


Bamboo steamers


An aisle of crockery


Chinese bowls

There's plenty of food too. Oodles of noodles, over 100 different types of tea, a section dedicated to Japanese sweets and enough chilli sauce to satiate any adrenalin thrillseeker.

There are the ordinary 'Western' groceries too, a fruit and veg section, duck eggs, seaweed salad and an open chiller which runs the length of the back wall featuring gow gee wrappers, soy milk, tofu and kim chee.

My favourite buys here include the frozen broiled eel for only $6.80 (perfect for sushi making) and 500g bags of frozen edamame (soy bean pods) for under $2.00. And of course there are always plenty of distractions in the biscuits and sweets aisle too...




PS. I spotted the $3 tub of banana sesame scrolls I had just bought for only $2.45 here. A perfect excuse to get some more...

Thai Kee IGA Supermarket
Market City Level 1
Corner Hay and Thomas Streets, Haymarket, Sydney
(above Paddy's Markets)
Tel: 02 9211 3150

More mouthfuls from our Chinatown banquet:
Grab Your Fork
Chopsticks in Chinatown Part I: Dragonstar, Haymarket
Chopsticks in Chinatown Part II: Dim sum fun
Chopsticks in Chinatown Part III: Lucky Thai sweets, Haymarket
Chopsticks in Chinatown sweet conclusion: Emperors Garden and Passionflower, Haymarket

Saffron from The Food Palate
Not Just Yum Cha: Part I
Not Just Yum Cha: Part II
Not Just Yum Cha: Part III
7 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 7/27/2005 10:30:00 pm


7 Comments:

  • At 7/28/2005 8:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mE TOO! i love browsing supermarkets. Especially 'ethnic' supermarkets. So many kitsch labels and strange foodstuffs. I also drool at the frozen food section with all the assorted fish cake shapes and dumplings. Mmm! If you guys go to cabramatta, I'd love to come ;) I'll bring cake and icecream?! Or maybe onde onde!

     
  • At 7/28/2005 11:32 am, Blogger Cathy said…

    Oh, me too, me too! I enjoy regular old supermarkets at home, but I agree ethnic markets are a truly great adventure. So many wondrous things you've never seen before (and the occasional famliar thing sold in bulk at an unbelievably low price). I especially love visiting grocery stores away from home - it's a little window on life in another part of the country or the world, not to mention the great souvenirs to be had!

     
  • At 7/29/2005 8:41 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    I totally agree with you AG! I'm a dedicated supermarket-lover too. Great photos - the rice cooker one really cracks me up for some reason :)

     
  • At 7/30/2005 7:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey..AG,
    How i wish .. the asian supermart is here instead.. !! envy ... envy..!!

     
  • At 8/11/2005 10:30 am, Blogger deborah said…

    Thanks for adding to Omnivoribus Australis. I visisted thai Kee the other day again and bought some soba noodles as well as the kewpie mayo.

     
  • At 8/18/2005 9:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi AG,

    there is a great new asian foodmarket next to coles below world tower on the corner of george and liverpool st.

    its huge and just recently opened.

    adrian

     
  • At 9/15/2005 2:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am also a supermarket addict. My problem is I load up on so much stuff that I end up paying a LOT for extra weight for my fly home luggage. If I don't buy it I'm sorry I passed up the opportunity!

    Wish I had a Magic Carpet! Jean

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts