#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Pineapple coconut muffins » | Post 23... what do you see? » | Grab Your Diary, 22-30 Sept » | Pho An Restaurant, Bankstown » | Ripper Sipahh » | Fine Food Australia, 2005 » | Cabramatta Moon Festival » | Iron Chef coming to Sydney » | SHF#12: Coconut pandan baked rice custard » | Grab Your Diary, 16-30 Sept »

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Walnut Streusel

In addition to the pineapple coconut muffins I made last night, I also decided to make another fruit-themed batch (when baking fever hits, take full advantage!).

Of the two, these were probably my favourite. The walnut crunchy streusel definitely makes it addictive.

The recipe is almost the same as the pineapple coconut ones. I like the use of oil in this recipe as it means you don't have to worry about creaming, and that means less washing up! =)



Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Walnut Streusel

1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon (I used about 4 teaspoons!)
1 cup chunky diced apple
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk

Streusel topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar (densely packed)
1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Preheat oven to 200C / 400F.

Sift flour then add baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon and mix through.

Beat egg well then add oil, milk and apple and stir well.

Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and combine quickly. Take care not to overmix or the muffin will be dry.

Ladle spoonfuls into greased or lined muffin tins, about 3/4 full.

Combine streusel ingredients in a bowl then top mufins with a spoonful of mixture.

Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Makes 12 medium-sized muffins.
6 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 9/24/2005 11:59:00 am


6 Comments:

  • At 9/25/2005 2:08 am, Blogger Nic said…

    You're brave, A.G. I don't know if I'd amdit that the reason I use oil in a lot of muffins and quick breads is out of laziness. Oops. Just did. =)

     
  • At 9/25/2005 9:29 am, Blogger deborah said…

    I be eating one of these beauties right now, slightly warms on low in the microwave. With a cup of earl grey tea. Mmmmm.

    So delicious!

     
  • At 9/25/2005 11:07 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi AG, these look fantastic. I can almost taste the crunchy sugary walnutty flavour!

     
  • At 9/25/2005 3:45 pm, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi AG,

    I've never used oil in muffins...interesting. What kind of apple did you use? Was it a sour one (like Granny Smith)?

     
  • At 9/27/2005 7:01 pm, Blogger obachan said…

    Oh these just make my mouth water! I wish I could find Granny Smith apples around here.

     
  • At 9/29/2005 11:33 am, Blogger tanvi said…

    Oooh I love streusal desserts! I just made a blueberry streusal cake, coincidentally. Although Im intrigued by your nut stresual- mine had flour in it. Looks great, Ill have to try it. I also like oil-based recipes: no need to leave out butter to get to room temperature and that whole bit!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts