#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Paddington Inn, Paddington » | Daniang, Haymarket » | Apple cinnamon porridge with toasted hazelnuts » | Sydney Fish Market, Pyrmont » | Soup Plus, Sydney » | Longrain, Surry Hills » | The Porterhouse, Surry Hills » | Rise, Darlinghurst » | EoMEoTE #6: Warm and sunny » | Bar Fly: Pier 26, Darling Harbour »

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Saint Honore Cake Shop, Haymarket

If there's a favourite Chinese bakery item I have, it's definitely the humble but gloriously tasty cocktail bun.



The cocktail bun, or gai mee baau, is a long sweet bun always marked with two pale stripes and usually scattered with a handful of sesame seeds. More importantly, they're filled with an addictive coconut mixture, the ingredients of which I've never quite been able to ascertain. But think butter, sugar, egg and lots of dessicated coconut and you get the picture.



So why is it called a chicken tail bun? I'd love to know. Some Chinese women I spoke to thought the signature stripes looked like a chicken's tail. Or perhaps the name came about because they were commonly served at cocktail parties, and the pre-requisite martini glasses look like cock's tails.

But whatever the reasoning, I can't speak about cocktail buns without mentioning St Honore Cake Shop in the same sentence. For it is here where the cocktail bun reigns supreme.

I'm a cocktail bun fanatic. I've done the taste tests. I've tried cocktail buns across Chinatown, Burwood, Ashfield and even Hong Kong, and none come close to the perfection that is the St Honore cocktail bun.

For it is only here that the filling is at its eggy and coconutty best. And they give you lots of it too. None of this stingy smear of filling. And all for an economically satisfying 80c.

It used to require a health-conscious resolve of steel to resist the allure of the St Honore cocktail bun, especially with the sugary just-baked aromas wafting from the warming ovens in the arcade corridor. The tiny shopfront was always chok-a-block with hungry students, kids and parents embroiled in a not-so-subtle brawl over elusive tongs and trays.



But guess what. St Honore have finally completed their renovations. Having operated out of makeshift even pokier premises down the arcade for the past month, the new revamped, bright and modern cake shop opened late last week. The back kitchen has been knocked out, completely opening up the shop and allowing, yes, a walk-in capacity without the need to stick your elbow in someone's face.




Good luck and prosperity flower arrangements for the store's opening


The new drool-inducing shop frontage on Sussex Street



There are plenty of other tasty cakes available here of course, including Mexico buns, mango pancakes, floss buns, daan tarts, eggy sponge cakes, swiss rolls and sticky glutinous rice dumplings. If savoury is more your weakness, there are curry puffs, bbq pork buns, frankfurt buns, shallot buns and even sticky rice parcels.

Even more surprising is that prices seem to have remained the same. Maybe they'll be hitting us with the subsidy for the cost of overheads in about three months, but for now, the cocktail bun is still a mere 80c.

Of course we had just one thing in mind when we visited.

Cocktail buns.
And yes, check out the trendy new carrier bags too.




View Larger Map

Saint Honore Cake Shop
427-429 Sussex Street, Haymarket Chinatown Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9281 1628
20 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 5/14/2005 11:59:00 pm


20 Comments:

  • At 5/15/2005 8:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey AG thanks for the update! glad to know that st honore's out of that squeezy makeshift space. :)

     
  • At 5/15/2005 11:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i've been craving this sort of baked good for some time now. frankfurt buns (made with plumrose cocktail franks out of the can) are my favourite savoury, despite the fact that the bread always (without fail) tastes vaguely sweet. i think that's why i enjoy it so much.


    now i'm craving a frank bun and a kaya (coconut jam) bun.

    errrghhh... *drool*

     
  • At 5/15/2005 11:54 pm, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi AG,

    The buns look delish! I think the first ones with the coconut cream are the ones that I like best. =P

     
  • At 5/16/2005 1:06 am, Blogger pinkcocoa said…

    hey AG
    Cocktail bun is one of my favourite HK-style buns. I just love the super richness sweetness creaminess of the butter-coconut fillings! Though I do find St Honore's buns a little too sweet to my taste. But I agree St Honore probably has one of the best cocktails bun in Sydney. hehe. I got over my phase of HK-style buns now. I am totally into Taiwanese! :-D
    Has St Honore had a change of owner a few years back? I used to buy chinese buns there everytime I was in Chinatown. It was perhaps the er, unfriendly lady at the cashier that made it so homey. :-p Now it doesnt look like St Honore to me anymore...

     
  • At 5/16/2005 1:09 am, Blogger Ms One Boobie said…

    I wish i could have one of this buns here now.. that i'm in no -where land.. haha!! never used to like it.. because it was too sweet for me.. but now.. i crave anything remotely similar to home.. :)

     
  • At 5/17/2005 7:49 am, Blogger Veruca Salt said…

    Have never understood your fascination with cocktail buns. I'm more of a sponge girl. But your photo has me sold.
    I had no idea there was so much buttery coconut goodness in it.
    Where have you been all my life!

     
  • At 5/18/2005 12:06 am, Blogger pinkcocoa said…

    Hey AG
    I used to really love St Honore's bread when my tooth were super sweet but now that my tastebud seems to be a tad sensitive, St Honore becomes a nice treat once in a while and yes, I would go for the cocktail bun. I have not had cocktail bun as good as the one there!

    I haven't found any nice Taiwanese bakery here in Sydney, or at least in the Chinatown & eastern suburb area. There are Savoy and Andy's in Chinatown but the standard isn't quite up there yet unfortunately. My aunt (back in taiwan) makes better pastry than they do! That's why I am making the milk custard myself....:p if only i know how to make bread myself....

     
  • At 5/18/2005 10:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we've been going there for years and years, so i was surprised to see it all renovated last week.. lovely!

     
  • At 5/19/2005 8:07 am, Blogger Veruca Salt said…

    Darlink, can you pls remove photo of cocktail bun. I have looked at the offending photo every morning since you posted. How does it make me feel? In the words of the original AG 'hungry!'

     
  • At 5/19/2005 6:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    augustusgloop, happy eating!
    love tracey x

    (there's your autograph haha ;))

     
  • At 6/12/2005 5:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Veruca Salt?! Is that you from the Morrissey-solo website?! This is truly weird finding YOU on here! So you are an Aussie lass?

    ~ J.R

     
  • At 11/10/2005 10:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the coctail buns too. Only i never had the ones from st honores since i live in Amsterdam.

    If you're ever going to be out here, go to Hoi Tin at the 'Zeedijk' and try them.

    They have a drooling window as well ;-)

     
  • At 6/22/2006 10:46 am, Blogger jon said…

    love these things - i live in China half the year, and i'm always scouting good spots. San Francisco has some good ones, too. But my big question is this:

    HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN THESE BAD BOYS?

    I'm trying to count everything i eat and i have no idea what to call it. ideas?

    peace,

    --jon rahoi
    jon@rahoi.com

     
  • At 9/22/2006 2:44 am, Blogger An said…

    Yes I admit the chicken tail bun is v. sweet and sugary, but you probably haven't tasted all that much of the bakeries in HK - I urge you to look for the small corner bakeries - they are the ones that do them best!

    Although I prefer savory to sweet, so I go for the plain old bun - purely plain, no fuss, no frills (but looks v. similar, just without the stripes). Or the sausage bun. Or the BBQ pork bun.

     
  • At 10/26/2006 9:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I find St Honore a bit pricy considering the quality of the product. I once bought a taro bun from there (yes, I have an obsession with taros) and it costed $1.20, with only about a tsp of filling. I agree with ~an* ^&^ on how you should purchase from small corner bakeries.

    There's one in Hurstville near the train station called "Bakery King's Cake Shop". It's the best I've been to so far, considering quality and price, although their buns tend to be more chewy and less dense. I think their cocktail bun is $0.70, cheap indeed, but I suggest you try the taro one. It's the best in my opinion.

     
  • At 8/22/2009 6:30 pm, Anonymous margaret said…

    Gotta love running down to chinatown on a lunchbreak just to grab some buns from St Honore. They've also got excellent mochi there!

     
  • At 8/24/2009 2:41 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Margaret - I agree, the St Honore bun run is always tempting!

     
  • At 10/07/2009 2:32 pm, Blogger cafedave said…

    Wow. I tried this place on the way back from lunch at Happy Chef. I can see why you think they're the best in Sydney - I had no intention to eat it on the way back to my desk, but couldn't help myself!

     
  • At 11/04/2009 6:23 am, Anonymous Stephanie said…

    Okay, so I read this and it reminded me of my search for not just the best BAKED CHICKEN Bao/Bun but ANY Baked Chicken buns. I've searched high and low in Los Angeles, San Francisco and even New York and alas, no luck. All are the same, BBQ PORK or Steamed Chicken. We used to have this amazing Bao place where I grew up here in Los Angeles called Bao Wow and then they closed after their lease was up and I was never the same.

    Anyway, if you happen to know of somewhere in Sydney that might satisfy my search for any baked buns with chicken, that would be amazing since I'm going to be there for two weeks starting Saturday and will have plenty of time to look. :-)

    Thanks for any help you might be able to provide and thanks for all the amazing posts on your blog.

     
  • At 11/06/2009 10:52 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Cafedave - lol. Glad you enjoyed the cocktail bun - and good to hear it's still living up to its reputation! Haven't eaten one for ages...

    Hi Stephanie - Not quite sure what type of baked chicken bun you're looking for, but does this chicken bun from Saint Honore fit the bill? Keen to hear how your chicken bun research goes in Sydney. Happy eating! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts