#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Sheraton on the Park Botanica Brasserie, Sydney » | Grab Your Diary, 10-27 August » | Pyrmont Growers' Market » | Ramen Kan, Haymarket » | Beb Patisserie, Ultimo » | EoMEoTE #9:The morning after » | Grab Your Diary, 5-27 August » | Sprout the love, baby » | Tokyo Mart, Northbridge » | Kagaya, Hurstville »

Thursday, August 11, 2005

SHF #11: Coffee hazelnut cookies with dark chocolate chunks



The smell of freshly ground coffee gets me everytime. That first whiff of roasted coffee beans draws me spellbound into its nutty, sweet embrace. I am under its spell each morning. Resistance is futile.

So yes, consider me delighted when coffee was announced as the latest theme for Sugar High Friday. I flicked through the recipe books, I drooled, and I awoke from a caffeine-infused reverie with inspiration.

I ended up tweaking (ok, you say b@stardising) Donna Hay's recipe for double choc cookies, which I've have the pleasure of consuming before (courtesy of our resident office baker). These are soft chunky cookies which almost have the texture of brownies. I changed the recipe by removing the cocoa and substituting it with coffee and hmm... let's see, yes, ground hazelnuts. And extra dark chocolate. Mmm...

Coffee hazelnut cookies with dark chocolate chunks
Based on Donna Hay's double choc cookies from Modern Classics Book 2

250g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
6 teaspoons instant coffee (I heart coffee!)
2 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup ground hazelnuts
250g dark chocolate, broken into chunks

Cream butter and sugar.
Add the eggs gradually and beat well.
Dissolve coffee in a tablespoon of hot water and add to mixture.
Add flour, baking powder, hazelnuts and chocolate and mix well.
Place large tablespoonfuls of mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper (I just used greaseproof with no problem). Ensure there is plenty of room between mounds to allow for spreading (I did about five per tray).
Bake at 150C for 20-25 minutes (depending on how soft/crispy you like your cookie).

TIPS: The baking / greaseproof paper is essential as these are very buttery. For some reason I decided to skip this step with the first batch and just greased a tray. I ended up with a giant cookie as they all melded into one! Use the paper. You don't need to grease it. It gives the cookies something to grip onto. But hey, if I had just followed the recipe in the first place...

THE TASTE-TEST: The aroma of these babies as you open the cookie jar is sensational. Mmm... and the house smelled great as these were baking in the oven.

These have only a slight crisp edge to them. I deliberately underbaked them for a soft cookie you can sink your teeth into. The coffee taste is great, but unfortunately you can't quite taste the hazelnuts. However I think the texture is slightly different with the presence of the ground hazelnuts (slightly more mealy and moist). Maybe next time I would incorporate whole roasted hazelnuts, or even eliminate them completely.

The look of these is definitely organic and homemade. Shaping these is impossible but that's part of the charm. They do look inviting when the chocolate shards protrude out the top of the cookie dome too.

And yes, a true coffee purist would have used espresso coffee, not instant. But I think I'd much rather drink that than eat it.

Check out the full wrap-up of caffeinated entries by Ron, coming soon to loveSicily.
11 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 8/11/2005 09:47:00 pm


11 Comments:

  • At 8/11/2005 10:28 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi AG, you mean there's an office baker *other* than you?! :) I think I should come and work there!

     
  • At 8/12/2005 1:21 am, Blogger Nic said…

    I havent' tasted them, but I love them already. Some cookies are meant to be underbaked a bit - and these look like they fit the bill nicely! Great entry, AG!

     
  • At 8/12/2005 7:13 am, Blogger boo_licious said…

    AG, they look really really yummy and they do have the gourmet feel to it. I like how you have shown the yummy dark chocolate peeking out from the cookie.

     
  • At 8/12/2005 4:33 pm, Blogger deborah said…

    loved these AG. They were the chewy kind of cookie which i love.

     
  • At 8/12/2005 8:56 pm, Blogger Cathy said…

    Hi AG - your cookies look delicious! You could leave the ground hazelnuts in AND add whole nuts! mmmmm...

     
  • At 8/13/2005 1:34 am, Blogger Joycelyn said…

    hi ag, you cookie monster you - those look wickedly good...love the sounds of their moist, fudgy, underbaked-just-so state...cheers,j

     
  • At 8/13/2005 2:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey AG,

    Those cookies look heavenly! I love cookies that are crunchy on the outside and and soft and chewy on the inside. Hmm, wonder of AusPost will object to having a batch sent in the mail!

     
  • At 8/13/2005 2:59 pm, Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said…

    wOw I'm not even sure how I ended up on your blog, but I'm salivating as I type!! The cookies sound absolutely delish & I would LUV to participate in the SHF..I'll definitely go to the site u linked & find out what I need to do & if I can get involved..sounds like such a fun concept..I had no idea stuff like this exsisted until recently..now I'm hooked!! lol

     
  • At 8/13/2005 7:36 pm, Blogger R said…

    Those biscuits look awesome. I too like the doughy, under-baked bikkie too.

    But I have to say that you shouldn't feel bad about touching up a Donna Hay recipe. Let's be serious, she made a whole career rehashing other's recipes - have you read her magazines?

     
  • At 8/13/2005 9:01 pm, Blogger Niki said…

    Wow - chocolate, coffee and ground hazelnuts - are we on the same brain waves for this SHF or what???? These look like the PERFECT chocolate cookie for me - hazelnuts are my favourite nut, and who doesn't love the combination of chocolate and coffee....in a moist biscuit. Wowee.
    And I love how you also don't follow a recipe exactly. I'm the type of person who ignores instructions like 'line with greaseproof paper' too, until I realise I should have!

     
  • At 8/16/2005 3:43 am, Blogger Ruth Daniels said…

    Now THAT'S what I call a cookie!!! It's been bookmarked and I'm sure will become a repeater. Thanks for sharing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts