#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Dae Jang Kum Korean BBQ, Haymarket » | Spice I Am, Surry Hills » | More Japan photos are up: Takayama morning markets » | Outback Steakhouse, North Strathfield » | The Rocks Aroma Festival » | Kei's Kitchen Kaiseki Cooking Class » | Pardz at LMC Cafe, Chippendale » | High Tea at the Victoria Room, Darlinghurst » | Sydney Portugal Community Club, Marrickville » | Saap Thai, Sydney »

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ryo's Noodles, Crows Nest


Ramen noodles in black miso soup $15.00
with deep-fried soft shell crab

Ryo's Noodles is the real deal.

I'm in love with this place as soon as I step through the door.



Lemon yellow walls are plastered with scrolls of white paper, each bearing the strong swirling characters of Japanese script. From the flower-stamped silver serviette holders on every table, to the rainbow coloured plastic cups by the help-yourself water dispenser, I can tell we're in for a ramen treat.

I even love the fact you can order a second serve of noodles for $2.50, just like in Japan. Another handful of noodles can satiate even the hungriest sumo wrestler with excess soup stock in his bowl.



There are nine ramen dishes on the regular menu, with specials listed on the wall. Non-noodle otions include the intriguing sounding "Japanese-style miso bolognaise sauce on noodles". Rice can accompanied by Japanese beef curry, fried pork cutlets or shaped into onigiri rice balls. There are entrees, sides and toppings, but we head straight for the ramen menu and order unadorned.




Ramen noodles in spicy hot pork soup $10.50

Wow. It's even better than I could have imagined. I've ordered a daily special, ramen noodles in black miso soup with deep-fried soft shell crab [see first pic]. The soup is thick, rich and dark, a hearty earthy stock with the taste of black sesame amongst the miso. The ramen noodles are of perfect chewy density. One whole deep-fried soft shell crab, crisp and crunchy, is almost hidden beneath a bounty of tasty morsels that include slices of pink swirled fish cake, bamboo pickles, half a soy sauce boiled egg and an undergrowth of peppery green leaves.

A whole nori sheet, tucked down one side of the bowl, resembles a sail, and I'm more than happy to float along for the ride.


Tokyo ramen noodles $9.50
Noodles in soy sauce chicken stock soup




View Larger Map

Ryo's Noodles
125 Falcon Street, Crows Nest, Sydney
(corner of West Street)
Tel: +61 (02) 9955 0225

Open Thursday to Tuesday (closed Wednesdays)
Lunch 12.00pm-2.30pm
Dinner 5.00pm-10.00pm

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Japanese ramen -- Ajisen Ramen, Haymarket
Japanese ramen -- Ichi Ban Boshi, Sydney (Feb08) and (Aug05)
Japanese ramen -- Menya Japan Noodle Bar, Haymarket
Japanese ramen -- Ramen Kan, Haymarket (Aug 05), (Nov 04)
Japanese ramen -- Ryo's Noodles, Crows Nest (Mar08), (Aug07) and (Jul07)
Japanese ramen -- Tokyo Ramen, Hornsby
Japanese ramen -- Zenya Noodle Bar, Eastwood
21 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 8/05/2007 11:59:00 pm


21 Comments:

  • At 8/06/2007 9:11 am, Blogger A Table For Two said…

    you finally made it to that place. It is good isnt it? Did G bring you there? :) I must got back sometime again to try their riceballs.

     
  • At 8/06/2007 9:43 am, Blogger Keizo Shimamoto said…

    That looks so good! If I ever make it down to Sydney this will be my first stop.

     
  • At 8/06/2007 5:11 pm, Blogger Veruca Salt said…

    Just thinking about the broth makes my mouth water.

     
  • At 8/06/2007 11:26 pm, Blogger SaucyMinx said…

    This is my favourite ramen place in Sydney. They are the most authentic and their best dish is the ramen with fish/prawn cake with sour soup base. The miso bolognaise is also another great hit! You have to try it next time.

     
  • At 8/07/2007 1:59 pm, Blogger papa lazarou said…

    nice! my usual is the hot pork soup... havent tried their riceballs... havent been recently, as i usually go to 'genki' near artarmon station these days... for their pork broth... mmmmm....

     
  • At 8/07/2007 2:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    for one second i thought it was the ramen shop in artarmon

    I have to try this one Mmmm

     
  • At 8/07/2007 7:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that place is definitely one of the most authentic that i have come across. its my regular haunt. love the chasuu onigiri and the tokyo ramen.

     
  • At 8/07/2007 9:23 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Billy - It was great, and yeah I was with G and J. I'd love to try their rice balls too :)

    Hi Keizo - Hope you make it to Sydney, and to Ryo's noodles too!

    Hi Veruca Salt - It was great broth. Amazing what good bones and a few hours can bring.

    Hi Saucyminx - I've heard much about the miso bolognaise. I'll have to convince someone to share it with me next time (gotta have my own bowl of ramen too!).

    Hi Papa Lazarou - Haven't been to Genki but I've heard a few friends rave on about the place. Ryo's is fantastic though, can't see it being beaten!

    Hi Lyn - Try it and let me know how it compares to Genki :)

    Hi Anon - I love my pork broth ramen. Chasuu onigiri sounds interesting. Like Chinese sushi!

     
  • At 8/08/2007 12:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have to go next time I am in Sydney. I have tried genki, for me, it is not that good. I still prefer Ramen Kan.

     
  • At 8/08/2007 2:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    they do a good gyoza here too.

     
  • At 8/08/2007 3:15 pm, Blogger Miss Andrea said…

    Hi 'Augustus',
    I've been reading (and enjoying) GYF for some time. Thanks for the advice on eating Japanese in Sydney. As an occasional visitor to the city (head office is next to Chinatown) and having once lived in Japan, I'm always on the lookout for the real thing, which can be hard to find. Those ramen pics are setting me on fire! Loved the recent vicarious trip to the land of the Rising Sun. gambatte kudasai!

     
  • At 8/08/2007 7:19 pm, Blogger thanh7580 said…

    That ramen noodle in spicy hot pork soup looks good. It looks a lot like the Vietnamese ban gun gou (crab noodle soup) that I like. It also has fried soft shell crabs, fish cake, fried prawns and pigs feet, mmmm, yum.

     
  • At 8/09/2007 12:33 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Lin - I would rank Ryo's a lot higher than Ramen Kan :) You will have to check it out next time you're in Sydney

    Hi Chriz - Mmm gyoza. So much more of the menu to eat!

    Hi Miss Andrea - Thanks so much for your comment. I'm glad you've been enjoying the Japan posts and pics. I agree. Finding the 'real thing' is always exciting and a wonderful flashback to travel memories. Hope you enjoy Ryo's :)

    Hi thanh7580 - I don't think I've tried ban gun gao. It sounds delicous though. I'll have to keep an eye out for it!

     
  • At 8/10/2007 2:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I could use some Ramen eh..?? looking at the broth alone is making me drool so bad..!

     
  • At 8/12/2007 11:44 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Mama BoK - The broth maketh the ramen :)

     
  • At 8/13/2007 1:39 am, Blogger noodles said…

    Id say that is the number 1 ramen place in sydney.

    Definitely the best tasting broth, juiciest meat and absolutely best eggs ive had.

    I truly do not understand hwo they put so much flavour in a simple egg. Its mindboggling.

     
  • At 8/13/2007 6:41 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Noodles - Fantastic ramen indeed. The eggs are great too. Fabulous texture and flavours, as you say.

     
  • At 11/11/2007 6:02 pm, Blogger scott said…

    It took us a while, but we finally wandered over to Ryo's today - and what a joy. We opened with the gyoza, and then we shared the ramen noodles in spicy hot pork soup, and the ramen in sour chicken soup with minced prawn balls. I can highly recommend the sour chicken broth - it was sensational. Great atmosphere, great food, definitely to be revisited. Thanks Helen.

     
  • At 11/11/2007 11:20 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Scott - Ahhh glad you made it. It's great stuff isn't it? I find it so hard to go past the miso bolognaise now though. Mmm... now I'm craving ramen :)

     
  • At 12/06/2009 12:32 am, Anonymous whereieat said…

    love ryo.
    ramen is great - have to try the soft shell crab next time.

    ramen time!

     
  • At 12/10/2009 2:54 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi whereieat - Ryo's is such a great spot isn't it? Highly recommend the soft shell crab on your next visit :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts