#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Ryo's Noodles, Crows Nest » | Dae Jang Kum Korean BBQ, Haymarket » | Spice I Am, Surry Hills » | More Japan photos are up: Takayama morning markets » | Outback Steakhouse, North Strathfield » | The Rocks Aroma Festival » | Kei's Kitchen Kaiseki Cooking Class » | Pardz at LMC Cafe, Chippendale » | High Tea at the Victoria Room, Darlinghurst » | Sydney Portugal Community Club, Marrickville »

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Sunflower Crepe Cafe, Ultimo


Provence crepe rolls with chicken $11.90
Low fat roast chicken with avocado, cucumber and tomato
served with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream

I've never been a savoury crepes person. Sweet crepes, yes. Zingy splashes of lemon and the furtive crunch of sugar on freshly made crepes have been a weekend breakfast treat. But I'd yet to be converted to savoury crepes, which to mind were always soggy, wet and not very filling.

In the name of research by maytrdom however, I headed to Sunflower Crepe to see if my theory could be proved wrong.


Crispy chicken crepe roll $13.95
Deep-fried crispy chicken fillet with homemade special mustard sauce,
wrapped up with mixed lettuce, avocado, tomatoes
and served with sweet chilli sauce

Splashes of hot pink and a pop art inspired mural greeted us inside this happy buzzy cafe. A steady stream of university students seemed to be hoeing into the more traditional Taiwanese menu with dishes that included dumplings, beef brisket, meat sauce noodles, Taiwanese sausage noodles and a beef noodle soup.

Lox orders the crispy chicken fillet crepe. The chicken isn't as crispy as he'd hoped, both of us expecting an earth-shattering crunch of schnitzel. I have the Provence crepe with chicken, filled generously with cubes of smoked chicken.

Both are served with a side salad of iceburg lettuce, cucumber, red capsicum and tinned corn cornels drizzled with mayonnaise. Two thin baguette slices are soaked a tad heavily with garlic butter.



One of the best things I love about Asian cafes is their attention to the drinks menu. Here milkshakes, milk teas and smoothies come in the usual chocolate, vanilla and strawberry as well as green tea, red bean, taro and black sesame. Non-alcoholic mohitos with fresh lime, peppermint leaves with lemonade are available for a mere $4.80.


Hot ginger milk tea $3.80

My hot ginger milk tea is sweet, spicy, warm and soothing. It's the perfect thing for curling up in bed with. Lox has the hot taro tea which comes in a wonderful shade of lilac.

Hot milk teas also come in lavendar, honey, almond, coconut as well as an interesting "fresh fruit" mix. A green tea cappuccino is also available.


Hot taro milk tea $3.80


Provence crepe

To my surprise I actually struggle to finish my crepes. The two crepes are more filling than they first appear. Alas this means there is no room for a dessert crepe, whose varied toppings include coffee custard, caramelised apple, a dish called "cream cheese heaven" and another with the alluring title of "green tea bliss", a concoction of green tea custard, red bean and whipped cream.

Next time :)


Sunflower Crepe Cafe
147 Broadway, Ultimo, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9211 5298
11 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 8/07/2007 11:33:00 pm


11 Comments:

  • At 8/08/2007 3:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That hot ginger milk tea looks fabulous - I love froth in my coffee and I sure do love tea AND ginger, so I imagine I would love this. Also, I'm usually not a savory crepe person myself, I had a bad crepe experience at the Magic Pan (though it wasn't expected to be the most quality meal of my life) and I remain hesitant to veer further from the sweet crepe.

     
  • At 8/08/2007 3:08 pm, Blogger spicyicecream said…

    I go to college just around the corner, I've walked past this place a million times and never noticed. Thanks for this, it looks amazing! I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow :)

     
  • At 8/08/2007 9:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow!! I'm so impressed I always go passed that place but i just never go in!

    If i knew they had hot taro milk i would have gone in ages ago and their crepes look so good! Good photos yet again :D

     
  • At 8/09/2007 12:36 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Hillary - The ginger milk tea was the highlight. I will have to work out how they did it. Maybe ginger powder, tea and sugar?

    Hi Lisa - I would often stare at the plastic food displays in the window. Just like Japan :) Hope you enjoy your lunch tomorrow!

    Hi Anon - I'm keen to try some of their Taiwanese dishes too. Enjoy the hot taro milk and crepes :)

     
  • At 8/09/2007 11:23 pm, Blogger papa lazarou said…

    been here a few times... though, i've never tried the desserts/crepes... usually settle on a cheap dinner from the taiwan style menu... its a decent and very cheap... the fried pork chops and simple noodles are good...

     
  • At 8/12/2007 11:46 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Papa Lazarou - The Taiwanese dishes did seem to be more popular - and better value too!

     
  • At 7/26/2008 6:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! Great post! Awesome photos! what is the trading hours btw? thanks.

     
  • At 7/27/2008 5:49 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Astrid - I'm not sure about their trading hours, but give them a call on the number above and I'm sure they will be able to help you :)

     
  • At 10/18/2008 10:20 am, Blogger Grace said…

    I went to Sunflower with friends two weeks ago, we ordered those green tea dessert crepes that you wanted to try (haha although we were pretty full too, after main course crepes and relish tea)

    The icecream had an interesting texture, it was slightly chewy and just sweet enough (I find green tea icecream can be bitter sometimes). The sweet crepes were cross-drizzled with honey and the red bean filling inside was sweetly hot.. the perfect foil to the cold icecream!

    All in all one of the best dessert crepes I've had in the city, I definitely recommend you go back with some stomach room and try them :)

     
  • At 10/22/2008 11:37 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Grace - Ooh yum, they sound delicious. Thanks for the tasting notes and the reminder to return :)

     
  • At 8/24/2013 11:27 am, Anonymous Amalie said…

    This is my fav crepe place. I always have one of the sweet crepes and their fruit tea - hot black tea with real fruit, absolutely delicious!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts