#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Sea Bay Hand Made Noodle Restaurant, Burwood » | Fruit and vegetable markets, Wellington » | Quick bites in Wellington, New Zealand » | The Vineyard, Crows Nest » | Hot Wokmaster, Ultimo » | La Parrillada, Petersham » | Haldon Street Festival, Lakemba » | Steamboat Party » | Ryo's Noodles, Crows Nest » | Restaurant 07, Royal Hall of Industries, Moore Park »

Monday, September 03, 2007

The Tasting Room, Wellington


Ostrich carpaccio $18.00
Finely sliced ostrich fillet with an orange and basil salad

One of my favourite Wellington meals.

I had been lured to the Tasting Room by its menu, primarily by the allure of an ostrich carpaccio, something I had never tasted before. Cooked emu - yes, raw ostrich - not yet.

It didn't take long for my salad to arrive. Wafer thin slices of raw ostrich were fanned out in a circle, surrounded by golden green orbs of olive oil punctuated with commas of balsamic. Peeled orange segements nestled amidst a pile of salad greens.



Wow. Mouthfuls of rich gamey ostrich married wonderfully with the swirls of olive oil and sweetness of caramelised balsamic. The orange added lightness and refreshment, the salad leaves some welcome texture. The deep-fried capers were my favourite: crunchy and salty they shattered on the tongue with an audible crackle.

An unbelievable flavour combination. I'm still drooling at the memory.



The Tasting Room
2 Courtenay Place, Wellington, New Zealand
Tel: +64 (04) 384 1159

Open for lunch and dinner 7 days
Brunch available on weekends
The Tasting Room on Urbanspoon

Go back to Wellington Day One Read the next entry

Read about my Wellington on a Plate eats in 2009

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Wellington, NZ - Cafe Bastille
Wellington, NZ - Kai in the City
Wellington, NZ - KK Malaysian Restaurant
Wellington, NZ - Le Metropolitan
Wellington, NZ -
Mr Bun
Wellington, NZ - Schoc Chocolates
Wellington, NZ - Simply Paris
Wellington, NZ - Supermarket spree
Wellington, NZ - Sweet Mother's Kitchen
Wellington, NZ - Tasting Room, The
Wellington, NZ - Victoria Street and Waitangi Park Markets
Wellington, NZ - Wholly Bagels
3 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 9/03/2007 11:32:00 pm


3 Comments:

  • At 9/05/2007 2:30 pm, Blogger Barbara said…

    My son was in Wellington last weekend. I passed along your recommendations. But too late for him to visit the ones that were closed on Sunday/Monday.

     
  • At 9/07/2007 4:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That dish looks absolutely fantastic! I've heard so much about ostrich meat and how great it is, but that carpaccio dish denounces any possible doubts I may have had.

     
  • At 9/09/2007 6:17 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Barbara - I'm sure your son found plenty of good food. I'm almost done on the Wellington posts. About 3 to go :)

    Hi Hillary - I had been intrigued by the ostrich carpaccio on Day 1 when I walked past. I'm so glad I succumbed. It was fabulous. I think ostrich is like emu and kangaroo - very lean and hence best eaten rare.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts