#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Chinese Herbal King Seafood Restaurant, Ultimo » | allrecipes.com.au media launch » | Chocolate brownies » | Sanctuary Hotel, Sydney » | Umaimon, Sydney » | The Sugar Hit super challenge: How many could you ... » | The amazing impromptu dinner party » | Oyster Saturday at Mooney Mooney » | Banana cupcakes » | Good Food Month: Night Noodle Markets, Hyde Park »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Australian Heritage Hotel, The Rocks, Sydney



Beer and pizza. What better way to spend a weekend.

A catch-up with an interstate visitor means showcasing the best that Sydney has to offer. For a lazy lunch with a good selection of local beers, we headed to the historic Australian Heritage Hotel at The Rocks.

The Mexican was put onto Little Creatures Pale Ale. I was on a newly available beer on tap, Sydney Rocks Brewery’s Red Ale.


Moroccan lamb pizza $19.50 large
with lemon, garlic, eggplant, goats cheese,
roasted vegetables and cous cous

It didn't take me long to convince the Mexican to order a large pizza each. It was only five dollars more than the small size, I reasoned, and it was worth it to get essentially double the surface area of topping.

He chooses the Moroccan lamb pizza, a Mediterrean combination of lamb slices, roasted pumpkin, tendrils of rocket, spoonfuls of couscous and creamy blobs of goats cheese.


Roast duck pizza $21.50 large
with mushroom, Spanish onion, Asian greens,
shallots, sesame seeds and plum sauce

I can't resist old faithful, the roast duck pizza. It doesn't fail to please. Piled generously with succulent morsels of Chinese roast duck, there's plenty of tasty duck skin to go around, the richness of the duck tempered with a hoisin plum sauce, curls of green onion and freckles of toasted sesame seeds.

Three schooners later we've all but finished our pizzas and caught up on four years of news. We leave the quaint and cosy Parlour Room with reluctance. If only those walls could talk.


View Larger Map

The Australian Heritage Hotel
100 Cumberland St, The Rocks, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9247 2229

Open Monday to Saturday, 10.30am-midnight
Sunday 10.30am-10pm

This has been included as an Intrepid Eat on Grab Your Fork's Top 10 Sydney Eats for Tourists. Read the entire list here.

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Pizza--Australian Heritage Hotel, The Rocks
Pizza--Big John's Pizza Restaurant, Sans Souci
Pizza--La Disfida, Haberfield
Pizza--Macchiato, Sydney
Pizza--Napoli in Bocca, Haberfield
Pizza--Slice of Crown Darlinghurst
Pizza--Wedgetail Pizza, Newtown
14 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 11/12/2008 10:17:00 pm


14 Comments:

  • At 11/13/2008 12:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this place. The roast duck is probably my fav pizza but the kangaroo pepper one isn't too bad either.

     
  • At 11/13/2008 9:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's only 9.30am but I could do with some of that duck pizza and a couple of cold ones.

     
  • At 11/13/2008 10:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooh, I'm such a sucker for the Moroccan lamb...yum!

     
  • At 11/13/2008 11:14 am, Blogger Annie said…

    The Australian is one of our favourite places to watch an afternoon pass us by... awesome pizzas and never ending beer options, what more could you ask for?

     
  • At 11/13/2008 11:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those are some seriously loaded pizzas and those are not unreasonable prices, either. I might have to take a visit to the Heritage Hotel soon and grab a slice :)

     
  • At 11/13/2008 5:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Woooww those pizza look great and the amount of topping is mind-blasting! I must try mmmm and of course bier on tap ^^!

     
  • At 11/13/2008 7:39 pm, Blogger ink said…

    See, now that I've started commenting I won't be able to stop!

    Talking pizza.. what's your judgment in the Haberfield pizza debate Helen? La Disfida, Napoli in Bocca or Dolcissimo? I have to say I'm a Dolcissimo gal, despite the erratic service.

    Ink

    P.S. I really should go and get the 4th side of the story at Il Locale.

     
  • At 11/13/2008 9:41 pm, Blogger spicyicecream said…

    a little birdy told me there will be some new additions to the menu soon... since we're designing it! It is a genuine struggle not to eat pizza every day for lunch, working just down the road from there!

     
  • At 11/13/2008 11:49 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Howard - I haven't had the kangaroo pizza in ages, but the duck one is definitely my favourite. The prawn and scallop pizza is also very good!

    Hi Veruca Salt - Oh yes I could have a fresh pizza out of the oven any time! And it was the perfect day for a couple of ice cold beers today too.

    Hi reemski - The lamb was quite good but I think I prefer my meat more seared on the outside and pink on the inside. It's a nice combo though. Who would've thought you could put couscous on a pizza?

    Hi Annie - Absolutely. It's a great spot to while away the afternoon. It'll be interesting to see how the area develops when the YHA gets built too.

    Hi Matt - Grab a whole pizza I say! And go large. The medium ones are truly inhalable by comparison!

    Hi FFichiban - Whilst I do enjoy traditional Italian pizzas with minimal topping, sometimes a fully loaded pizza is just what the doctor ordered. Enjoy your beer and pizza!

    Hi Ink - I haven't actually tried the pizzas at Dolcissimo but out of the two, I'd choose La Disfida. I would need to do more research though just to make sure :)

    And keep 'em comments coming!

    Hi Lisa - Ooh, new toppings? Yum yum! Can't wait to see the new design or check out the new pizza flavours! Thanks for the tip-off!

     
  • At 11/14/2008 10:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is one of my fave pizza places. The Roast duck is really yummy and tasty and so is the Tiger prawn pizza with juicy roma tomatoes and goat's cheese!

     
  • At 11/14/2008 10:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Speaking of pizzas, Helen I'm not sure if you've done a review of the pizzas from Macchiato, along Pitt st? I think they are equally good and very tasty. What do you guys think?

     
  • At 11/17/2008 9:15 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Rica - Who would've thought that roast duck could be so good on a pizza? I also love their prawn and scallop one, with roe attached. Yum!

    Hi Rica - I have had the pizzas at Macchiato and blogged it here (also linked in the post above). They do pretty good pizzas from that end of town, although my hair and clothes used to always smell of pizza when I got back to the office!

     
  • At 6/29/2009 9:00 pm, Anonymous Lisa said…

    I have raved about this place and it's pizza so much that my little brother wants this to be the first place he goes when he turns 18! Perfect slice of Sydney!

     
  • At 7/08/2009 8:44 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Lisa - That's so funny re: your brother. I'm sure he can eat there if he stays on the tables outside though. We've eaten with kids there before :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts