#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Teppanyaki, The Ivy, Sydney - Merivale Winter Feast » | Bankstown Bites Food Festival 2009: Discovery Food... » | Gumshara Ramen, Eating World, Haymarket Chinatown,... » | Footy franks (and my first night at the footy) » | Nepenthe wine celebrations at Aria Restaurant, Sydney » | The pressure test: Beef and Guinness Stew » | Fondue at JPB Restaurant, Swissotel, Sydney » | Sydney food blog list (includes regional NSW) » | High tea at The Loft, King Street Wharf, Sydney » | The pressure test: Sweet Corn and Basil Soup »

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mamak, Haymarket Chinatown, Sydney



Usually it's just me.

After a dinner out with friends, as we file out the door, I'll casually say "soooooo... does anyone feel like dessert?"

I'm already thinking of options and looking forward to sweet closure when someone, the self-nominated Voice Of Reason will say "Omigod, you're joking aren't you? I'm sooooooo full. I totally couldn't eat another thing."

To which I will smile and laugh, "Oh of course I was joking! I mean, dessert! After eating all that! As if!"

*cue sinking heart*

The problem with hanging out with food bloggers is there is no Voice. Of. Reason.

"Dessert?" someone will ask.
"Yes! Yes!" comes a reply.
"Second dinner?" another will pipe up.
"Okay!" chimes the response.
"Let's go!" seals the deal.


Teh tarik $3.50
Classic Malaysian sweetened tea, "stretched" for a frothy topping

Which is how Billy, Suze and I end up at Mamak, immediately after our Merivale Winter Feast at Teppanyaki.


Milo tarik $3.50
Malaysia's hot chocolate

We make it into the doors with about five minutes to spare before the 9.30pm closing time. Cold hands are cupped around hot mugs of tarik - Billy has the standard tea teh tarik whilst I have the Milo tarik, heavily influenced by novelty. It's not as intensely malty as I usually make mine at home, and it tastes as though it's made with half milk, half water (just as my Mum used to do) but it's a welcoming warming drink.


Nasi lemak $7.50
with sambal calamari $4.00

Billy is definitely ready for a second dinner, ordering a serve of nasi lemak with sambal calamari. The calamari is a misnomer, as it's actually cuttlefish that is served, a completely different texture and flavour, with a more jelly-like bounce.

An orb of coconut rice is surrounded by little piles of roasted peanuts, cucumber chunks, ikan bilis small fried anchovies, a pat of spicy sambal sauce and half a boiled egg. Billy attacks with gusto.


Roti tisu $9.00
Paper-thin, extra crispy and served tall

Suze and I move straight onto dessert. We both have a bit of an obsession with roti tisu...



...which is why we order a roti tisu for each person, because really, why would you want to share?

Having now seen the light, I must implore you all to say no to ice cream and demand a side of condensed milk. Revel in the joy of drizzling that sweet and sticky milk syrup all over the top of your roti tisu mountain. It will ooze its way down the hillside. And don't waste a drop.


Top hat

Rest your little tub of condensed milk upside down on your mountain peak. Use your fork to bash in the sides. Eat chunks with your fingers. Lick your plate if you please.





View Larger Map
Mamak on Urbanspoon


Mamak
15 Goulburn Street, Haymarket Chinatown, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9211 1668

Open 7 days (no reservations)
Lunch: 11.30am - 2.30pm
Dinner: 5.30pm - 9.30pm
Supper: till 2am on Friday and Saturday

BYO $2 per person
10% surcharge on public holidays

Related Grab Your Fork posts:
Mamak, Haymarket (Jul09), (Nov07) and (Oct07)

Malaysian -- Kopitiam, Ultimo (Dec08), (Apr07) and (Apr06)
Malaysian -- Makan at Alice's, Thornleigh (Feb08) and (Jun07)
Malaysian -- Malay Chinese, Sydney (26 Apr 07) and (3 Apr 07)
Malaysian -- Mc Lucksa, Haymarket
Malaysian -- The Malaya, Sydney
Malaysian -- Tan's Malaysian, Ultimo

Malaysian -- Temasek, Parramatta (Jan09) and (May08)
16 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 7/30/2009 01:52:00 am


16 Comments:

  • At 7/30/2009 8:13 am, Anonymous Kay said…

    my siblings love roti dipped in condensed milk.. they they get curry.... nice huh? i switch from curry/condensed from time to time hehe..... never tried icecream though

     
  • At 7/30/2009 9:50 am, Blogger Stephcookie said…

    Hehe food bloggers are crazy but in such a good way. More second dinners and more dessert I say! Hurrah for roti tisu with sweetened condensed milk, everyone who doesn't do it is missing out!

     
  • At 7/30/2009 12:15 pm, Anonymous clekitty said…

    Ooh! I think I might do that next time. I will get condensed milk instead of the ice cream. I loved the look of the condensed milk dripping down the sides of the cone, I think that won me over!

     
  • At 7/30/2009 5:05 pm, Blogger Anh said…

    I am always stuffed after going to Mamak. It's so worth the queue!

    Right, next time I am getting condensed milk instead of ice-cream for the dessert cone as well.

     
  • At 7/30/2009 6:59 pm, Blogger Iron Chef Shellie said…

    hehe top hats! om nomnomnom

    PS. I've nominated you for an award, check my blog =)
    x

     
  • At 7/30/2009 7:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hee hee hee hee I know the first scenario oh too well! Thankfully for the latter one XD!

    Hee hee you also gave Suze's party hat its own hat :P

     
  • At 7/30/2009 7:09 pm, Anonymous chocolatesuze said…

    hoho i love that last shot of the cup of condensed milk perched on top the roti hat! must.get.every.bit.of.sweetness hahaha

     
  • At 7/30/2009 7:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    loved the crunchy anchovies served as part of the nasi lamak, but the rice was tragic as it was soggy in the middle and had no coconut fragrance whatsoever.

    condensed milk with roti tisu, what a devilishly good idea!

     
  • At 7/30/2009 11:21 pm, Blogger zona marie said…

    ooooh, your FIRST line shows u'll fit right in as a Malaysian! that's what we do - after dinner, proceed to supper at the mamak (not Mamak Haymarket). ^_~ no second thoughts! hehe...

    mamak stalls in malaysia are as ubiquitous as starbucks! and I can say that Haymarket Mamak is close to home as I can get here in Sydney =)

    altho, you should also try Malacca Straits at the Quad, Broadway. not as crowded, delish nasi lemak! ^_~ http://malaccastraitsthai.com/

     
  • At 7/30/2009 11:38 pm, Blogger YaYa said…

    Well everyone KNOWS about the second stomach that's gotta be filled after a heavy meal, it's related to the dessert stomach and depends on your taste for sweet or savoury afters, hehe! Oh gotta try the roti tisu, they look so divine.

     
  • At 7/31/2009 1:37 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Kay - Haven't tried normal roti in condensed milk but sounds good to me! I think the roti tisu works so much better with condensed milk. The ice cream just makes everything go kinda soggy!

    Hi Stephcookie - I wonder why they don't make condensed milk an option on the menu? And yes, hanging out with food bloggers indulges my sensibilities (or lack thereof) far too well!

    Hi clekitty - Oh definitely get the condensed milk. It gets messy but in a tasty way!

    Hi Anh - I always go to Mamak early so I don't have to queue. Nothing worse than queuing when hungry although at least the kitchen does a good show! Enjoy the condensed milk - it's hard to believe but it makes the tisu better beyond belief!

    Hi Iron Chef Shellie - Top hats indeed! And thank you so much for the award! So sweet of you!

    Hi FFichiban - Haha, yes I did realise I had a party hat wearing a top hat. Now to get a photo of someone wearing the two! Could be dangerous!

    Hi Chocolatesuze - Cannot. Waste. A. Drop. And oh the joy of a roti tisu all my very own!

    Hi Anon - Last time I found the coconut rice a little wet, but it was coconutty. I love the peanuts and the anchovies - I wish you could get them as side dishes to munch on!

    And yes, the roti tisu with condensed milk is a winner.

    Hi Midnite Lily - I've been meaning to get to Malacca Straits for quite some time now. Thanks for the reminder. And I must get to Malaysia. I love the idea of mamak stalls. Street food is always so much fun.

    Hi YaYa - I definitely have a separate dessert stomach. Maybe two :)

     
  • At 7/31/2009 8:15 pm, Anonymous Yas @ HungryDigitalElf said…

    I'm definitely asking for condensed milk next time!! and, ya, Roti tisu ONE EACH!

     
  • At 8/01/2009 10:59 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Yas - I do wonder why they don't make condensed milk an option on the menu. It is sooo much better. And yes, one roti tisu per person is mandatory. Maybe one for dinner and one for dessert :)

     
  • At 8/13/2009 11:59 am, Anonymous Eden said…

    LOL my friend just linked me this post saying that the first few lines is sooo me.
    Glad to say that the end of my story doesn't pan out the way yours goes, I usually end up dragging my friends to more places to eat ! (where a lot of them sit there ...but eventually order, because who can deny the lure of food? =p)

    Don't back down next time !! ;) haha

     
  • At 8/13/2009 9:24 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Eden - lol. I think that's why I love hanging out with food bloggers so much! There's never any argument!

     
  • At 11/16/2011 11:43 am, Blogger Miss Vodka said…

    When I went to Sydney I LOVED Mamak. I asked them to come to Melbourne! We have a few Malaysian restaurants but they are no where near as good as Mamak.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts