#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Sydney Sandwich Social » | Mmmango » | Bourke Street Bakery, Broadway » | IMBB #19: Strawberry and Raisin Oatmeal Cookies » | Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Walnut Streusel » | Pineapple coconut muffins » | Post 23... what do you see? » | Grab Your Diary, 22-30 Sept » | Pho An Restaurant, Bankstown » | Ripper Sipahh »

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Oaty Date Slice

The other week, Kelly was bemoaning an excess of porridge oats at the conclusion of winter. Anzac biscuits immediately come to mind, but then so does this recipe for Oaty Date Slice.

It's quick, it's dead-easy and it's terribly addictive.

The source? Try my Yr 7 home economics textbook. Sure it's full of hokey recipes for fruit skewers and celery boats, but the oaty date recipe is definitely a keeper. It's been referred to so much, it now opens naturally at this page.

In last-minute cravings using bare cupboards, I've made this without using dates which still works well. The dates add quite a bit of sweetness, so if you like your slice a little less sweet, I'd halve the amount. This is a recipe for twelve-year-olds. You can't go wrong!


Oaty Date Slice

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 tablespoons coconut
1 tablespoon honey
125g butter
1 cup dates, chopped

Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut.
Heat dates, butter and honey in a saucepan, stirring until dates are soft.
Pour butter mixture over dry ingredients and mix well.
Press firmly into a greased shallow tin.
Bake in a moderate oven at 180C for 15-20min (leave longer if you like it sweet and crispy--I cooked mine for about 40min).
Cut into bars while hot and remove from tin when cold.
16 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 10/02/2005 07:59:00 pm


16 Comments:

  • At 10/02/2005 9:53 pm, Blogger boo_licious said…

    AG, you are a genius. I have been looking for recipes that have dates and this looks fantastic. Can't wait to try it and thanks so much.

     
  • At 10/02/2005 11:40 pm, Blogger Rachael Narins said…

    I love, love, LOVE that you still HAVE that book, and that you made something that looks so yummy from it! Amazing!

     
  • At 10/03/2005 12:36 am, Blogger Nic said…

    Yum - oatey and slicey!

     
  • At 10/03/2005 9:01 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Sounds like a winner, AG! I also have a bag of dates sitting in the pantry waiting to be used... It's obviously meant to be!

     
  • At 3/06/2007 8:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awesome recipe! I'm a bloke who can't cook. Found the recipe on the net and banged it up for the crew at work. Not a bit left over.

     
  • At 2/26/2008 2:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My son found this looking for an oat recipe for me to make. I made it and the whole family loved it.

    What is a fruit skewer?

    Next I may try Anzac biscuits. If I can find any Anzacs at my supermarket.

    Marvin (Jerusalem)

     
  • At 3/02/2008 4:27 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Marvin - Wow, so glad to hear that this humble recipe is bringing joy to families the world over :) It's a great recipe and so easy too.

    Fruit skewers are just that - cubes of pineapple, melon, orange and apple threaded onto bamboo skewers/sticks for an easy no-cook dessert (the book is aimed at 12-13 year olds, remember!).

    And if you're interested in trying Anzac biscuits, I have a recipe for you here. Enjoy!

     
  • At 3/21/2009 3:52 am, Blogger Holly said…

    did I do something wrong? Like, how can you screw up this recipe? I find it way too oaty and not very date-y, and I even put a few extra dates. it is dry! disappointment reigns!

     
  • At 3/21/2009 3:50 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Holly - I've had several people use this recipe with success so not sure whether your accidently measured something incorrectly? I would give it another go if you're game. I can't understand it being dry either :(

     
  • At 6/12/2010 1:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    made this for school loved it, tastes 100times better than it looks and it looks pretty good:)

     
  • At 6/14/2010 4:45 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Anon - Glad you enjoyed it. It's a great recipe isn't it? So easy, and tasty too!

     
  • At 7/18/2010 3:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fantastic slice. Quick and easy, and everyone loved it. Thank you!

     
  • At 7/25/2010 6:22 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Anon - Glad you enjoyed the recipe. It's such an easy crowd-pleaser!

     
  • At 9/05/2011 11:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love this recipe, great for lunch box treats...I add LSA instead of coconut and throw in a handful of almonds...Blondie

     
  • At 12/10/2011 7:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great with melted chocolate on top for some extra calories!!

     
  • At 8/04/2013 4:41 pm, Anonymous Sharon said…

    This recipe is fantastic, I love muesli bars, and been looking for a recipe to make my own, as they cost a fortune in the shops, this is a winner. I am trying to reduce the sugar though, a bit at a time, as I don't want to spoil them. I'm also adding a few nuts and sunflower seeds, oh and I used wholemeal flour. I'm a one pot lover if I can, so melted the butter in a pan as per the recipe, then just threw in the dry ingredients as I weighed them, it worked a great. Thanks so much. Sharon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts