#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Walkley talkie » | Selina, Fairfield » | Grab Your Fork in mX » | High Tea at The Globe Bar, The Observatory Hotel » | Sugar frenzy: Holiday Cookie Swap » | Chicken salad rice paper rolls » | Tomodachi, Broadway » | Spice I Am, Surry Hills » | Thai Food Festival » | Cupcakes on Pitt, Sydney »

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Start spreading the news...



So I'm off. Tomorrow morning I fly out to New York for a month of determined feasting.


  • Who makes the better pizza: John's or Grimaldi's?
  • Is it possible to eat an entire 10-inch high Reuben from Carnegie Deli?
  • Could a Gray's Papaya hotdog really change my life?
  • And exactly how much can I eat before I outgrow my belt?
All these questions and more will be answered as your intrepid food reporter goes abroad.

I am sure I will find myself spending some time in an internet cafe along the way, so there should be a couple of updates along the way, although I'm not sure about the feasibility of uploading photos. Of course the trusty camera will be travelling with me everywhere and photos will be taken. Thousands, I'm sure.

In the interim, I leave you with photos from a dedicated Christmas fanatic's home in Lugarno, Sydney. Its owner, Peter Olsen, has consistently decorated his home with Christmas lights and due to a professed desire to "spend more time with the grandkids" this year's display will be his last.



This was the first time we'd visited the display, and as we neared Maple Street, we wondered if we'd find it. That's when the giant bigger-than-a-billboard sign came into sight "Welcome to Maple Street".

Wow. Then we wondered how we'd know which house it was. Silly question. I wouldn't doubt if this home was visible from outer space. We exclaimed in unison as we came over the crest and 86,000 bright lights spectacular beckoned in the distance. It was bigger than Vegas.



The crazy but kindly folk even allow you to climb up the steep steps of their driveway (think 60 degree incline steep) and check out their front front which is over-run with all things Christmassy. A dozen Santas in various sizes, snowmen, a Christmas train track and a complete nativity scene with life-size moving characters and nodding lambs aplenty.



The giant champagne glass out the front is six metres (18 feet) high and although I'm not usually one to go gaga at Christmas, well this kind of craziness just brings out the inner wow'ing kid in you.

Sydneysiders should check out the display whilst they can, and don't forget your $2 donation as well. All proceeds go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Olsens hope to surpass the AU$112,000 raised last year.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Helen

Read the next New York entry







14 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 12/04/2005 11:08:00 pm


14 Comments:

  • At 12/05/2005 12:25 am, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    I've eaten at Carnegis Deli and I couldn't finish even half of a sandwich. So if you can eat the whole thing I will be very impressed. Have fun. Can't wait to see your photos.

     
  • At 12/05/2005 4:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a wonderful time in NY.. AG..!! And a merry christmas and happy new year to you ..!!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 7:44 am, Blogger Rose said…

    If they are still open, go over to Shake Shack in Madison Park!!!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 8:26 am, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi AG,

    Have a wonderful time and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 9:47 am, Blogger deborah said…

    Merry Christmas to you! Hope you have a wonderful time in NY. She is a gorgeous city! Be safe adn well, see you in 2006 :)

     
  • At 12/05/2005 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Merry Xmas and Safe travels to NY!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 9:56 am, Blogger Mona said…

    ok, couple true ny spots to hit:
    for lunch:
    barney greengrass deli
    2nd ave deli
    and i'll second rose's shake shack.

    for a breakfast to die for go to norma's at le parker meridien (or kitchenette or sarabeth's)

    for dinner check out sushi at bondst
    italian food at baldoria or il mulino

    french at balthazar

    american at kitchen 22,
    kitchen 82 or mermaid inn.

    have fun let me know if you try any of these or have location questions!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 10:10 am, Blogger Sam said…

    Hey Augustus
    I will be on tenterhooks waiting for your reports. I am going to NY for my 40th birthday in June and I need to start researching the food. Unlike lucky you I will only have a few days there so I need to make sure I don't make any bum dining choices.

    Have Fun!
    Sam

    ps love the apple logo!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 4:45 pm, Blogger Rose said…

    Oh, yes, mona's on the money about Kitchenette. Some of the best brunches I've had in NYC, I've had there.

    If you like chocolate (I just had a delicious cup of dark chocolate today), there's some great options:

    Vosges (on Spring street in Soho)

    Michel Cluizel (located in ABC Carpet and home--I think the Amateaur Gourmet did a post
    recently on it)

    Chocolate Bar (at 48 8th avenue)

    Jacques Torres (Soho-350 Hudson Street)

    Like mona, if you have any NYC related questions, just ask.

    Happy eating/visiting in NYC!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a great time and go crazy in NYC for me!!!

     
  • At 12/05/2005 11:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Go Gray's Papaya! Also on the cheap side, go to the Pommes Frites shop in the village. Grimaldi's is clearly the classic New York pizza (my rant).

    Zagat's 2006 just came out, you can get it everywhere (slightly cheaper at Zabar's and at Strand Books), but I'm sure you know that already.

    Other names: Beard Papa for Japanese cream puffs (at least two locations)! Try Mercer Kitchen in Soho for lunch... you can see the locations of all the green markets here, get local vegies and the best milk.

    Drop me a line any time if you have any food questions, I'll help if I can - and let's catch up?

     
  • At 12/06/2005 5:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have fun in NY, AG! Looking forward to reading about your foodie adventures in the Big Apple. Happy holidays! :)

     
  • At 12/06/2005 4:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi AG - Have a wonderful trip to NY. Enjoy the adventure and new discoveries...Looking forward to hearing all about it. Soon, I will be off to Singapore for a month & looking forward to all the glorious food there - always something different to try & it don't burn a hole in your pocket either ;-)

     
  • At 12/06/2005 10:53 pm, Blogger Anthony said…

    Hey a safe and wonderful trip to you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts