#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | St Patrick's Day Parade » | La Traviata, Opera on the Big Screen, Sydney Opera... » | Blues Point Cafe, McMahons Point » | bills, Surry Hills » | Musashi Dining Bar, Sydney » | It's for research: Farmer's Rustica, Luneburger » | Grab Your Fork in Men's Style magazine » | Chez Pok, Pokolbin, Hunter Valley » | Chinese New Year Party » | The Lansdowne Hotel Broadway, Chippendale »

Friday, March 16, 2007

Beard Papa, Chatswood



Any visit to Chatswood must include a detour to Beard Papa's.

tray

They have a number of new products available now: the mango ice shower is depicted as a bright orange funnel filled with shaved ice and topped with mango pieces, mango syrup and condensed milk. It's $4.95 but doesn't look half as generously portioned as the version advertised in Western Australia. There are fruit drinks ("with flavoured ice!" - the poster exclaims) as well as sticks of cheesecake and mounds of chocolate fondant (a gooey centred chocolate pudding that was a little too sweet and rich for me when I tried it in NYC).

But I only had eyes for the custard puff. Expanded custard variants of caramel and strawberry weren't available this week, so I settled for the matcha green tea flavour.

green tea puff

Surprisingly the custard wasn't the warm mass I'd last remembered - this one was cool and almost cold.

custard puff bitten

The pastry was still crunchy and delicious though, and the G-man deserves much kudos for eating three puffs in a row on his virgin visit.

To my horror, I recently discovered the "nutritional" values for Beard Papa's custard cream puffs too: each puff contains 220 calories (920 kilojoules) and 13 grams of fat (of which 6 grams is saturated).

But life is short and moderation is key. Besides who can resist the joy of choux pastry, especially after watching this video of custard puff making in action.

beard papa chatswood

Beard Papa’s Sweets
Westfield Chatswood
K353a, Ground floor (near General Pants)
1 Anderson Street Chatswood, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9412 2214

Mon-Wed 9.00am-5.30pm
Thu 9.00am-9.00pm
Fri 9.00am-5.30pm
Sat-Sun 9.00am-5.00pm

1 puff: $2.50
6 puffs: $12.00
12 puffs: $20.00


Related GrabYourForks posts:
Beard Papa's Sweets, October 2006
Beard Papa's Sweets, June 2006
Puffy at Market City, Haymarket Chinatown, July 2007
Puffy at World Square, City, September 2006
6 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 3/16/2007 06:13:00 pm


6 Comments:

  • At 3/16/2007 5:08 pm, Blogger A Table For Two said…

    haha! u finally went to find out about the nutritional values of the creamy puffs after I mentioning it.... well is nastily goood afterall... :P

     
  • At 3/22/2007 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Figuro - you are crude!

    Of course they are high in calories and high in GI, low in fiber and unlike Mcdonnals, they don't even if the Heart Foundation tick of approval!

    Have one ever say "Weetbix...yummm!" ... or I am depress, let me chump on a piece of weetbix?

    :-)

    Helen / Food hog - I think I like green tea, strawberry and vanilla - I find the chocolate one to be a bit ordinary. Good that they keep changing flavor.

     
  • At 5/23/2007 10:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tried the green tea and original vanilla, and I like both flavour. I also tried chocolate but not as good as I have imagined, even for a chocolate lover like me. anyway, they put too much colored sugar dust on top, it almost made me choke. LOL :)

     
  • At 7/06/2007 7:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have just become a devotee of Beard Papa's --- in Shibuya, Tokyo! Now I'll have to get myself to Chatswood to satisfy the craving.

    What is even more worrying, I have infected my children with this wicked addiction. At the tender age of 6, my daughter is now hooked on Beard Papa's. Shame, shame.

    When I went to NY I got hooked on bagels. In Tokyo, cream puffs. Shocking, I must have an addictive personality.

     
  • At 12/11/2007 2:36 pm, Blogger Lozza said…

    Black Sesame is by far, the absolute most delicious custardy, creamy, lip smacking, mouth watering filling that beard papa's has ever created. The Black Sesame filling in Australia is different to the one in Japan, but eaten at room temperature, it still puts up a bloody good fight to Vanilla Bean.

     
  • At 12/17/2007 11:20 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi pigflyin - I still haven't tried strawberry, and yes change is good. As long as it's sweet and creamy :)

    Hi hendra - The danger of inhaling the powder on top is rather acute! I almost suffocated on some matcha powder once. lol

    Hi Anon - Oh me too. I like to think it's merely an ability to appreciate the finer things in life. Repeatedly. And why not! lol

    Hi lozza - Black sesame? *shriek* I had no idea this flavour was available. This could be dangerous. Very dangerous indeed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts