#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Balloon Fiesta, Canberra » | Le Rendezvous, Manuka, Canberra » | Balloon Fiesta Nighttime Spectacular, Canberra » | Canberra, Australia » | The Old Bakery Tea Rooms, Berrima » | Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Cakes » | Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Food » | Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Animals » | Bungalow 8, Sydney » | Wii feast on Thai »

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Pancake Parlour, Civic, Canberra

family breakfast of pancakes

Everybody loves pancakes for breakfast on a Sunday.

flat white coffee
Flat white coffee $3.50

Eleven of us had headed to The Pancake Parlour in Canberra's Civic, an utter ghost town on a Sunday morning. We'd been up since dawn for the Balloon Fiesta and by 8am we were ready for some sustenance.

I remember the excitement of going to The Pancake Parlour when I was younger. There used to be one opposite the movies on George Street, and occasionally we'd go to the one in Bankstown during a girls' shopping day out.

Now they've all disappeared from New South Wales although they still figure in Melbourne, Ballarat and a lone franchise in Canberra.

big country breakfast
Big Country Breakfast $18.90
Three buttermilk pancakes with butter and syrup,
bacon, free-range eggs, organic beef chipolata sausages and tomato

Service was somewhat absentminded (we didn't receive a number of drinks despite remindings), and the pancakes seem a little overpriced for the portion size. But I did enjoy the Canadian pancakes - I'm really starting to get into this bacon, banana and pancake thing.

eggs benedict
Eggs Benedict $12.90 (small)
Buckwheat pancakes topped with gently grilled Virginian ham,
coddled free-range eggs and smothered in warm Hollandaise sauce

early bird special
Early bird special $11.50 (7am-9am Mon-Sun)
Two pancakes with whipped butter
and free-range scrambled eggs

Canadian breakfast
Canadian pancakes $17.90
Two pancakes with whipped butter, maple-flavoured syrup,
top middle rashers of bacon and banana

pancake parlour

The Pancake Parlour
Corner of East Row and Alinga Street,
Civic, Canberra, ACT
Tel: +61 (02) 6247 2982

Next post: Lunch at Lynwood Cafe, Collector

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Canberra Road Trip Part 1: Berrima
Canberra Road Trip Part 2: Canberra
Canberra Road Trip Part 3: Balloon Fiesta Nighttime Spectacular
Canberra Road Trip Part 4: Dinner at Les Rendezvous, Manuka
Canberra Road Trip Part 5: Balloon Fiesta at dawn, Old Parliament House
Canberra Road Trip Part 6: Breakfast at The Pancake Parlour, Civic
Canberra Road Trip Part 7: Lunch at Lynwood Cafe, Collector
12 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 4/21/2007 10:26:00 pm


12 Comments:

  • At 4/22/2007 7:47 am, Blogger hazchem said…

    yum... I haven't had breakfast yet but i think i know what I want now! I've always been a fan of banana pancakes, as well as having bacon with my pancakes, but i've never thought to have all 3. Looks great!

    Arggh, now they are making pancakes on the TV! My fate is sealed!

    There is still two 'Pancakes On The Rocks' restaurants in NSW, but they don't seem to be using the 'Lovely!' lady symbol anymore like this one in Civic.

     
  • At 4/22/2007 1:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boy..!! i am so hungry now..! and we donch have a pancake parlour here at all.. :( remotely close would be mickey dee..! yup..! yer heard me right..!

     
  • At 4/22/2007 2:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is still the Pancakes on the Rocks, down on Hickson Road, which serves all the old favourites. My fave was always the potato one with sour cream on top. My kids love the smiley face pancakes too. But they are expensive ...

     
  • At 4/22/2007 3:01 pm, Blogger Robyn said…

    Pancake Parlour = AWESOME NAME! I also like that the sign says "LOVELY!"...seems a bit random, but I suppose it's correct.

    Beautiful photos! I need to get me some pancaaakes.

     
  • At 4/22/2007 5:24 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Hazchem - I'd want pancakes too if I were up at 7.47am on a Sunday morning :) The bacon, banana, maple syrup and pancake combo is my new favourite.

    I've been to Pancakes on the Rocks several times but they're not connected with Pancake Parlour anymore :(

    Hi Mama Bok - I was craving pancakes last night myself just writing the post!

    Hi Alison - I never tried the potato pancake, the last one I had was strawberry fields which was more crazy red sryup stripes!

    Hi Robyn - The Lovely lady has always been a part of their branding and tea and pancakes in the parlour does have a nice ring to it doesn't it?

    I need to get me some macarons! lol

     
  • At 4/25/2007 5:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Rocks pancake place was a favoured haunt during my university days.

    On a business trip to Melbourne I stumbled on the Pancake Parlour in the Jam Factory.

    Immediately left the vicinity after looking at the prices.

     
  • At 4/25/2007 11:19 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Andrew - Nothing worse than overpriced pancakes huh. It really does give you incentive to whip up a batch for yourself at home!

     
  • At 4/26/2007 10:17 pm, Blogger Bonnie said…

    Oh goodness - this brings memories flooding back! I worked at both of the branches in Brisbane - Pancakes at the Manor and Pancakes on Broadway. It looks like the menu has changed slightly since I was there though...

    I certainly had my fill of pancakes!! And they do taste pretty good (even though I know how they're made ;)

     
  • At 4/27/2007 1:04 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Bonnie - Good to hear you enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I've always wanted to go behind-the-scenes in a pancake joint :)

     
  • At 4/30/2007 9:11 pm, Blogger Lil said…

    My favourite is their Swiss shakes - have you had one before?

    I was very sad when the one on George Street closed - a favourite for uni students!

     
  • At 2/09/2008 1:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm yum. We used to have a Pancake Parlour in Albury when I was growing up, and we got to go there for special occasions... I used to love the swiss milk malts, and items from the kids menu I remember were the cheese pleaser, and the mad hatter's something... it was meaty and yummy. I also remember having the great buckwheat pancakes. I had all Alice in Wonderland murals at the Albury one. Happy memories.

     
  • At 2/18/2008 1:39 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Lil - I haven't tried their Swiss shakes, and yes I remember the outlet on George Street. So many memories :)

    Hi Ashlee - Isn't it wonderful how so many of our childhood memories are embedded around food. It makes me wonder what kids these days will reminisce about in thirty years!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts