#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Food » | Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Animals » | Bungalow 8, Sydney » | Wii feast on Thai » | Harry's Cafe de Wheels, Woolloomooloo » | Snapped: 4pm Good Friday Eve » | Malay Chinese Takeaway, Sydney » | The Colonial Bakery, Milsons Point » | Dinner by candelight: Chocolate fondue for Earth Hour » | Thainatown, Sydney »

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Cakes

cake display right

We'd petted the animals, we'd eaten our fill, and soon it was time to move onto dessert.

cupcakes
Cupcakes


We had a quick look in the gardening pavilion first...

roses
Roses

cactus
Cactus

british bedford
British Bedford

then a brief rest at the woodchopping arena...

woodchopping
Woodchopping

before we finally reached the hallowed temple for every Domestic Goddess within: the judging display area for baked goods, fruit cakes, decorated cakes and awe-inducing sugar art.

cake display
Cakes of honour

 gingerbread men
Iced gingerbread men

 lamingtons
Lamingtons

scones
Scones

rock cakes
Rock cakes

fruit cakes
Winning fruit cakes

The display cases with noteworthy entries in the cake decorating competition were surrounded by an appreciative crowd. There were some amazing concoctions, the decorations made only with icing sugar, glucose, gelatine, water and food colouring. How to decorate a cake? A little patience and a lot of practise, by the looks of things.

daisies
Watering can with daisies

wedding cake with frangipani
Wedding cake with hibiscus frangipani flowers

wedding cake lilac
Wedding cake with lilac roses

sushi
Giant sushi!

lingerie
Lacy black lingerie

pirate ship
Pirate ship playground

waratah
Giant waratah

farm
Easter Show farming tribute

teddy bear
Teddy bear

flower box
Pink gerberas

Cat in the Hat
Dr Seuss’ Cat in the Hat

sleeping baby
Pink sleeping baby in bed

pink wedding cake
Pink wedding cake

egg
Intricate hollow egg

lace wedding cake
Lace wedding cake with bride

cake admirers
Drooling and envious cake admirers

The Sydney Royal Easter Show runs from April 5-18, 2007 at the Sydney Showground, Sydney Olympic Park.


Related Grab Your Fork posts:
Sydney Royal Easter Show 2010: Robosaurus Pics and Video
Sydney Royal Easter Show 2010: The Cakes, Food and Toyota V6 HiLux Heroes

Sydney Royal Easter Show 2009: The Cakes and District Displays
Sydney Royal Easter Show 2009: The Racing and Diving Pigs

Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Animals
Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Cakes
Sydney Royal Easter Show 2007: The Food
13 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 4/12/2007 11:16:00 pm


13 Comments:

  • At 4/13/2007 12:11 am, Blogger Cass said…

    Thanks for the dose of nostalgia. I haven't been to the show in years, but if I was in Australia at the moment those cakes would have pulled me back. Amazing.

     
  • At 4/13/2007 12:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yep the sushi cake was my favourite its done by the same girl who did the yumcha cake last year!

     
  • At 4/13/2007 9:39 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Hi Helen, thanks for sharing the cake photos - they are amazing!

     
  • At 4/13/2007 11:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, the wedding cake with hibiscus flowers looks amazing, but I think they are frangipani flowers. Only because hundreds of them are falling all over my front yard... I just moved to Sydney and it's my first autumn. I should have gone to the Easter show. Maybe next year :)

    E

     
  • At 4/13/2007 3:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    prettyy cakee....pretty pretty cakee... =9~ *slurppp*

     
  • At 4/14/2007 9:53 am, Blogger Su-Yin -Décorateur said…

    Hey Helen...magnificent photographs of the cakes! I've been meaning to go since the Easter show kicked off; ....specifically to see the cakes. *sigh* Uni work and my melbourne trip has messed up all my plans. I guess looking at the cakes from your pictures will have to suffice. Thanks for that :P. *jealous*

     
  • At 4/14/2007 11:50 am, Blogger Deborah Dowd said…

    Lord knows if I wil ever get to he Sydney Easter Show, bu thanks so much for sharing this feast for the eyes. My girls were fascinated with the cakes (particularly the sushi cake!) Great post and photos.

     
  • At 4/15/2007 4:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Helen,

    I've been reading your blog for a while now and I enjoy it a lot :)

    Just wanted to let you know (if you didn't already) about Churrasco - it's an all-you-can-eat meat restaurant in Coogee. I went there last week and it was a tad expensive but soooo good. I thought you might like it :)

    www.churrasco.com.au

    - Nancy

     
  • At 4/19/2007 9:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, the Giant Sushi Cake is so tempting ^^

    Would anyone knows any shops that would be able to do the Sushi Cake that is similiar or so to that?

    I think i might have a "Sushi" Cake for my nxt bdae ^^

     
  • At 4/19/2007 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there,

    This is my site www.funkycakez.com.au.
    Happy to do the sushi cake for you :) or anything food related

    Annie

     
  • At 4/20/2007 12:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the cakes are beautiful, aren't they?

    great photos! I've yet to put up any of those EAster photos *grins*

     
  • At 4/23/2007 9:39 pm, Blogger annieville said…

    Hi Helen,

    You have some great food photos that you put up! I dream to have your job of eating for a living ;)

    Annie

     
  • At 4/23/2007 9:54 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Annieville - I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, although I should clarify I don't eat for a living. I wish I did too, but I have a non-food-related office job that pays the bills (and the meals too!) :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts