#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Fujiya, Haymarket » | Things that go chomp in the night » | 2004 Food Blog Awards: winners » | Farmers Market, Fox Studio » | Cafe Ottimo, Ultimo » | Ashfield Hotel, Ashfield » | New links added » | Homemake: Goi Cuon » | More Takayama photos are up » | Happy New Year »

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Darkness be my friend

Who said Grab Your Fork doesn't indulge its readers?

In response to repeated clamouring, and with R as my confirmed dining companion, I can confirm that yours truly will be fumbling for mouthfuls in the dark sometime this weekend. I'll be Dining in the Dark for your... er... literary pleasure. Without a camera to capture any of the action (and I believe that all lights sources are banned, including watches and mobiles), I'll have to commit everything to memory (or else run out to the bathroom--which is lit--and scribble down notes on the toilet paper).

I'm still undecided on whether I'll be eating with fingers or cutlery. Apparently it's been advised previously to avoid doing this, as blind people don't have this option in public.

Regardless of the experience, it's certainly raised a number of intriguing questions in conversation--would you feel fuller faster? Would it be tiring trying to identify your food if you did this for a week? Exactly how much do you rely on your eyesight and presumed taste expectations when you eat?

Apparently we do get to choose our meals so it won't be "guess-what-this-mouthful-is" dining. However I'm definitely looking forward to it and, of course, sharing the experience with you all! Afterall, would Augustus Gloop ever refuse an invitation to eat?!?

Click here to read all about it and check out the photos.

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Things that go chomp in the night, 10 Jan 2005
7 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 1/12/2005 10:52:00 pm


7 Comments:

  • At 1/13/2005 1:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey AG
    Can't wait until you tell us all about the experience! We look forward to your post. When are you going?

     
  • At 1/13/2005 5:23 pm, Blogger Fish Fish said…

    Hmm... interesting. With no visual stimulation... definitely an interesting experiment. :)

     
  • At 1/14/2005 1:43 pm, Blogger pinkcocoa said…

    oh Oops. Didn't realise my comment was post as anonymous. Yup, the first comment was me ;-) Have fun this weekend!

     
  • At 1/16/2005 2:24 pm, Blogger R said…

    OMG!!!

    Did we have a good night? - yes, we did.

    Augustusgloop, I am rather coming to like reading the comments on your blog, nearly as much as your entries.

    I am especially looking forward to this anticipated entry, and *drum roll* the pictures too.

    I was laying in bed this morning considering would I do this again. Although the food was good (and the company), you'd only pay $65 (three courses with wine) for a once off novelty.

    But I am thinking that it would make for an interesting dinner party experience... I'd have to experiment with the choice of dishes and textures first.

    Fabulous fun, and you all have to give it a go. Either at the restaurant or at home.

    Lastly, the service and staff were of the highest order. One of the owners was there on the night, and what a sweetie! Strike up a chat if you go with the staff. We were there on what we were told was the Sydney restuarants busiest night, and still people found the time to chat, give a tour and fetch things for us.

    Go, Go! And take someone special with you.
    x

     
  • At 1/16/2005 11:27 pm, Blogger Tracey said…

    Thanks for visiting my site, Augustus Gloop! (p.s you've probably got the best "food handles" ever!)

    Dang it all. Now I've got oompa-loompa stuck in my head.

    Your blog is great, I can't believe I've not found you earlier as we both seem to frequent the same foodblogs. Congrats on being a finalist in the Food Blog awards. Man, oh man, do I want a culinary vacation to Sydney. Nevermind all the other great things about the city, I'm coming for the food...with printouts from your blog as my guide.

     
  • At 1/16/2005 11:27 pm, Blogger Tracey said…

    Thanks for visiting my site, Augustus Gloop! (p.s you've probably got the best "food handle" ever!)

    Dang it all. Now I've got oompa-loompa stuck in my head.

    Your blog is great, I can't believe I've not found you earlier as we both seem to frequent the same foodblogs. Congrats on being a finalist in the Food Blog awards. Man, oh man, do I want a culinary vacation to Sydney. Nevermind all the other great things about the city, I'm coming for the food...with printouts from your blog as my guide.

     
  • At 1/18/2005 11:27 am, Blogger Ms One Boobie said…

    Very interesting concept.. eating in the dark.. :) can't wait for your report on yer experience.. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts