#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Darkness be my friend » | Fujiya, Haymarket » | Things that go chomp in the night » | 2004 Food Blog Awards: winners » | Farmers Market, Fox Studio » | Cafe Ottimo, Ultimo » | Ashfield Hotel, Ashfield » | New links added » | Homemake: Goi Cuon » | More Takayama photos are up »

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Hoa Pasteur, Haymarket

EDIT: Hoa Pasteur is now closed.

If the Sussex Centre foodcourt is up one end of the foodcourt spectrum in the decor and ambience stakes, then Dixon Street is usually down the other.

I've heard that the Dixon Street foodcourt was the first one established in Sydney's Chinatown (to much excitement and fanfare) and although it did have a minor re-furb recently, it still has a ways to go. It's down in the basement with no natural light, fake wooden panelling and school cafeteria-style tables and seating. But minimal overheads mean lower prices, and most dishes here retail for a bargain $6.50, when the Sussex Centre average is $8.50.

It had been a while since I'd eaten here so I thought it was time to refresh the memory. There are a couple new stalls here (Korean, Japanese and the ubiquitous juice station) but I couldn't resist the allure of bun thit nuong (a weakness of mine, if you hadn't already noticed)


Bun thit nuong $6.50
(Number 19)

The pork wasn't quite as caramelised as I normally prefer, but the salad was all fresh and crunchy. Not one of the best ones I've had, but then again, this is certainly one of the cheapest.

Hoa Pasteur is usually one of the busier shops--family-run (like most others) and always friendly and courteous. There are a couple of Chinese noodle shops here, Thai, Northern Chinese, Korean and Japanese.

Dixon Street foodcourt does seem to be picking up a little although they really do need to put bans on incessant bell-ringing for people to collect their orders!

For the budget-conscious.





Hoa Pasteur (CLOSED)
Shop B8, Dixon Street Foodcourt
Cnr Dixon and Little Hay Streets, Haymarket
5 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 1/13/2005 02:00:00 pm


5 Comments:

  • At 1/16/2005 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    G'day. I got here via Michele's comment game. I must say looking at all this food is making me very, very hungry! Which is not good given I am trying to get back on top of sensible eating patterns, having taken a month off work where all it seemed I did was eat and drink my way around Australia!!

    Kimbofo (http://kimbofo.typepad.com)

     
  • At 1/17/2005 4:34 pm, Blogger pinkcocoa said…

    Geezzz, I thought Sussex Centre foodcourt was quite a bargain already. Didn't realise I totally missed out on such a gem in Chinatown! The bun thit nuong looks yummy! Vietnamese food is so refreshing for the summer, don't you reckon?

     
  • At 1/18/2005 11:25 am, Blogger Ms One Boobie said…

    I so remember this place.. AG... :) i remember finding it with a co-worker.. and in awe.. and totally pleased with myself.. ;)
    Memories.. ahhhhhh..!

     
  • At 1/27/2005 12:09 pm, Blogger Ms One Boobie said…

    Hey..AG.. :)
    I hope you don't mind me commenting all over yer blog.. heh!!

     
  • At 1/29/2005 1:17 am, Blogger Ms One Boobie said…

    Cool.. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts