#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Oscillate Wildly, Newtown » | Bite me » | Ploy Thai, Haymarket » | Good Food Month: Spring Picnic » | About Grab Your Fork » | Night Noodle Markets » | Would the real AG please stand up » | Sydney Farmers Market » | Pasta Shot, Newtown » | EoMEoTE #11: Smoked Trout Salad with Soft-Set Egg »

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Musashi Dining Bar, Sydney

musashi interior

I've always meant to try Musashi. Every time I've walked past its modern clean-lined Japanese interior, it's been consistently packed with lunchtime diners. It's a little off the general ant trail though, so when pondering a potential lunchtime destination, I'd inevitably forget about it--until the next time I happened to walk past and doh! the palm would smack the forehead in frustration.

Finally the short-term memory synapses were firing when I met R for lunch the other day. We headed straight on over and after a brief two-minute wait for a table, were seated amongst the buzzing crowd.

Nabeyaki udon noodle
Nabeyaki udon noodle $9.80
Sukiyaki beef, vegetable tempura, fish cake, egg and noodles

cooked with seasoned dashi soup in a clay pot

R ordered the nabeyaki udon noodle which was larger than it appears above. Fragrant, hearty and full of trawl-able goodies, R was pleased with her selection.

Sushi and sashimi deluxe set
Sushi sashimi deluxe set $22.00
Daily fresh assorted sushi and sashimi combination


I had heard that the lunch sets were good value, and had originally ordered the Musashi lunch set for $18.50 (sushi, teriyaki chicken and skewered pork). A miscommunication somehow resulted in the sushi sashimi deluxe set arriving at our table, however as soon as I spotted how good it looked, there was no way I was letting this go back into the kitchen!

An ocean's worth of beautifully fresh sashimi and sushi beckoned enticingly. Raw salmon, tuna, kingfish and botanebi prawns were all firm, sweet and tasty. Then there was broiled eel, inside-out California rolls, and best of all, the sushi rice which was perfectly sticky and flavoured with sweetened rice vinegar.

There was more. In addition to a bowl of steaming cloudy miso soup, there was a small bowl of udon noodles garnished with seaweed and scratchings of tempura bits:

Udon noodle soup

Not to mention a refreshing final palate cleanser of a sweet kiwifruit half:
kiwifruit

Would it be unfathomable to admit I ate all this?

And then I had dessert?

How could I not, when green tea creme brulee was on the menu. As you know, brulee is my weakness, and I adore green tea anything!

Green tea creme brulee
Green tea creme brulee $4.80

Oh it was good. Well-flavoured matcha nuances coming through the soft and silky custard, topped with a rink of golden toffee. I was debating whether to start licking the bowl clean with my fingers.

Fantastic sushi and sashimi. Unbelievable green tea creme brulee. I'm coming back here in a definite hurry!

Musashi exterior
Musashi Dining Bar
447 Pitt Street, Sydney
(corner Pitt and Campbell Street, next to the Capitol Theatre)
Tel: 02 9280 0377

Closed Sundays


There are also three sister restaurants at:
Masuya Japanese Seafood Restaurant
Basement level
12-14 O'Connell Street, Sydney
Tel: 02 9235 2717 (closed Sundays)

Makoto City Sushi Bar
119 Liverpool Street, Sydney
(corner Pitt and Liverpool Street)
Tel: 02 9283 6767 (closed Sundays)

Mokoto Chatswood Sushi Bar
336 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood, Sydney
Tel: 02 9411 1838 (open 7 days)

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Musashi Dining Bar, March 2007
7 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 10/16/2005 05:46:00 pm


7 Comments:

  • At 10/16/2005 10:55 pm, Blogger Veruca Salt said…

    Yum! Both dishes look so good. Maybe I should try the brulee. Need to ease myself into green tea flavoured things.

     
  • At 10/16/2005 11:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For my money Masuya in the city is better - the agadashi tofu is the best I have had and the Spicy Karaage chicken.. YUM! And you have to go the Nabayaki (?) Udon... a great winter warmer..mmmmm

    The interiors aren't as nice and the crowd ain't as spiffy but it is lighter on the wallet. Pays to book...

     
  • At 10/17/2005 6:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for that -I'm always stuck as to where to eat when I am in the city, esp when I am not in the mood for the usual cafe fare. The 1st time I tried the green tea creme brulee was at Kobe Jones(King St Wharf - http://www.kobejones.com.au/index.html) but they changed the menu - now it's a green tea & mango version. The prices are more upmarket, as you would expect for a restaurant at King St Wharf, but the kobe rolls & soft shell crab are fantastic! I also recommend the mushroom medley.I took a friend from out of town there, because the view is great, etc. The place is more mod California-Jap then traditional Jap.

     
  • At 10/17/2005 10:50 am, Blogger deborah said…

    Wow, you did well with the dessert AG!Looks great! Would love to try this place out soon.

     
  • At 10/17/2005 12:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with maddy, Masuya is better. The food (and your pictures) looked good everytime I walk pass Musashi, and its popularity gave me good impressions but my friend and I were disappointed.

    Some complaints:- The spider sushi had too much rice and too little soft shell crab and filling, it was quite limp. The tuna salad had so much raw lettuce and so little tuna sashimi and didn't like the shredded cooked tuna in it either.

    Overall, nothing to shout about.

    Mokoto at Chatswood wasn't fresh, I think Makoto in the City might be a better option.

    andie

     
  • At 10/17/2005 2:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow.. yummy..!! i really miss good jap food.. :(

     
  • At 10/17/2005 9:32 pm, Blogger Rachel said…

    Hi AG,
    I've been to both Masuya and Musashi. I didn't realise before that they were sister properties. Good spotting!
    I liked both of them. Musashi seems alot more informal, great to go with friends to share. I really liked the wagyu sizzling beef it was so melt in the mouth and tasty! And you were right the green tea creme brulee is a must have. The queue was really long when I went. But the unique-ness of the dishes and variety makes it worth the while.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts