#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | EoMEoTE #11: Smoked Trout Salad with Soft-Set Egg » | Pyrmont Growers' Market » | High Tea at the Swissotel, Sydney » | The Reveal » | Oaty Date Slice » | Sydney Sandwich Social » | Mmmango » | Bourke Street Bakery, Broadway » | IMBB #19: Strawberry and Raisin Oatmeal Cookies » | Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Walnut Streusel »

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pasta Shot, Newtown

Pasta Shot is shiny, bright, tangerine orange cheer. There's a rustic blackboard beckoning at the door with $5 specials...

Pasta Shot blackboard

a gleaming new display cabinet servery...
Pasta Shot service counter

and cafe-style wooden chairs with funky artworks adorning the walls...
Pasta

There are salads and pastas in the bain marie...
Pasta Shot pastas and salads

and a chicken and spinach pasta number in addition to the ubiquitous lasagna.
Pasta Shot chicken pasta and lasagna
Penne with chicken and spinach $7.50, and beef lasagna $8.50

I was here with a group of ravenous Sydney Photobloggers after a morning field trip around the streets of Newtown. The interior was light and airy, a couple of Saturday newspapers lay on tables for customer perusal, and a huge open window allowed us to watch the Newtown crowd pass on by.


Fusilli pesto $5.00

Fusilli arabbiata
Fusilli arabbiata $5.00

I had the fusilli arabbiata with a request for extra chilli. And although there was definitely heat, I was a little disappointed in the lack of flavour. There was plenty of tinned tomato, but it was a little too astringent for my liking, and lacking in depth. I noticed that many of us were reaching for the salt and pepper shakers with increasing regularity between mouthfuls.

The pasta though, was perfectly cooked. Nicely al dente with a definite firmness to the tooth. Disappointingly our pasta didn't arrive in "cones" but maybe that's for takeaway?

Cheap pasta in modern chirpy surrounds in the heart of Newtown.

Fast fuel for a photography pit-stop.

Pasta Shot frontage

Pasta Shot
175 King Street, Newtown, Sydney
Tel: 02 9557 7949
6 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 10/06/2005 11:52:00 pm


6 Comments:

  • At 10/07/2005 7:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hullo...yes, I had the same impression - my palate was not thriled at all, it was quite bland, but I was curious about the cones (yes, it's for take away)... There is a new casual italian place up the road, I think it's called the Italian Bowl? Not sure. But it looks busier than Pasta Shot.

    I enjoy reading your blog (love the photos, too) - keep up the great work! I live vicariously through your epicurean adventures... :)

     
  • At 10/07/2005 9:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well what a pity..! they do look yummy though..!

     
  • At 10/07/2005 4:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    heh i read the first 2 words in your post and got all excited about seeing pasta in cones! im guessing itd come in paper cones hey but wouldnt it be interesting if the pasta came in waffle cones...

     
  • At 10/08/2005 7:11 am, Blogger Cat said…

    i do think pasta may very well be the best thing on the planet :) it all looks very tasty!

     
  • At 10/09/2005 8:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man, I'm fasting & your photos made me hungry. It's okay, only 15 mins more to breaking fast... :)

     
  • At 12/23/2005 10:44 am, Blogger Julia said…

    I went to see a movie at the Dendy 2 weeks ago and was intriguied by The Italian Bowl next door. Most pastas are $10 with a crusty bread roll (seafood pastas are $12 and chicken/veal dishes are $12 as well, and there's lots of options), and as pasta is my favourite ever thing I had to sample it.

    I had a serious craving for tortellini boscaiola but I hate how 95% of the time pasta is bathing in cream here. What I loved is that they have actual chefs putting the pasta together - I asked if I could just have a little cream and the chef was more than happy to oblige. They make each dish as it's ordered, so it's quite fresh. And it was prepared just as I requested, a little cream and lots of nice bacon, mushroom and shallots. A huge serving (could serve 2 people but I scoffed the lot, I told you I love pasta!) and it comes in a cute brown paper bag. Will defo be back - I just wish there were more!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts