#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Kai in the City, Wellington » | Cafe Bastille, Wellington » | Schoc Chocolates, Wellington » | SMH Good Food Guide Awards 2008 » | The Tasting Room, Wellington » | Sea Bay Hand Made Noodle Restaurant, Burwood » | Fruit and vegetable markets, Wellington » | Quick bites in Wellington, New Zealand » | The Vineyard, Crows Nest » | Hot Wokmaster, Ultimo »

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Prague Czech Beer Restaurant, Potts Point


Juicy roast pork knuckle $18.90
served with pickled cucumbers, horseradish, mustard and bread


EDIT: Prague Czech Beer Restaurant has closed

My pork knuckle arrives on a chopping board. With cutlery jammed in deep. It's just as well I'm sitting down or I'd have swooned.


Crunchy fried and stuffed mushrooms $8.90
with blue cheese and tartare sauce


The night had already started off well at Prague Czech Beer Restaurant. We'd shared a platter of fried stuffed mushrooms, golden brown nuggets filled with fresh mushrooms and oozing blue cheese.

Deciding on our mains had been much much harder. Twenty five different mains were on offer, most offering pork.


Golden roasted Doung duck $21.90
based on an old traditional Czech recipe

served with red cabbage, sauerkraut, bread and potato dumplings

J stuck with old faithful, the golden roasted Doung duck, crispy in skin and tender within. Fat stodgy discs of bread dumplings were the perfect sponges for mopping up duck gravy. The mounds of red cabbage and sauerkraut helped counteract the richness of the dish.

My pork knuckle was, oh, divine. The enormous beast of a bone was clad in gloriously moist meat that flaked off with the touch of a fork. Its armour of crackling was no match for my knife. I even gnawed at the bone.


Marinated pears in wine on vanilla glaze $8.50

A short interim soon cleared way for dessert. J partook of the marinated pears, whose spectacular presentation made us all think (and crave) matchstick custard slices.


Hot raspberry on vanilla ice cream $7.90

Hot raspberry on vanilla ice cream includes a very generous serve of fruit, not to mention its very funky presentation glass.


Apple strudel with walnuts and ice cream $7.50

I stuck with old faithful, the apple strudel with walnuts and ice cream. The apple mixture wasn't as sweet as I'm used to, although were plenty of walnuts.

The beers here ($6.50 for 500ml) are a little more expensive than Doma Bohemian Beer Cafe ($5.50 for 500ml), but if you're a pork knuckle fan like me, you won't be complaining.


Prague Czech Beer Restaurant (CLOSED)
42 Kellett Street, Potts Point, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9368 0898

Monday to Friday 5pm-midnight
Saturday 12pm-midnight
Sunday 12pm-10pm
7 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 9/16/2007 11:16:00 pm


7 Comments:

  • At 9/17/2007 3:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh I wonder how their Duck compares to Doma cafes? Like you mentioned, I also found Doma's duck to be quite lean, actually I hardly got any meat off it which was disappointing as it looked good.

    Oh and I brough a tablefull of vegetarians/vegans to Doma cafe, talk about risking it! lol

     
  • At 9/17/2007 3:24 pm, Blogger Jules said…

    I love this restaurant - I always have to have those stuffed fried mushrooms, they are DIVINE.

    And I'm not a huge pork fan but I love the pork delights here. The party plate I think it's called has a selection of all the porky offerings, oh so good. And yet the duck is wonderful too, so hard...!

     
  • At 9/17/2007 10:29 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Lorraine - I'm used to bbq duck Chinese style, so I do admit I find European duck quite lean and not as juicy/fatty by comparison.

    PCBR has three vegetarian mains plus salads and a couple of salmon options.

    Hi Julia - I think I love this restaurant too :) And I love pork, esp on the bone, and crackling.... oh... yes, I do love this place I think!

     
  • At 9/19/2007 7:47 pm, Blogger Juji said…

    DROOL!

    Pork knuckle (and trotters, fillet, chops ... roast....) sends me all a twitter!

     
  • At 9/21/2007 9:36 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Juji - Oh yes, I always love a bit of pork on my fork!

     
  • At 9/28/2007 2:16 am, Blogger Chunky Bacon said…

    Czech food looks similar to German

     
  • At 9/29/2007 11:12 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Unablogger - It does a little, but then Germany isn't very far away either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts